Attaching wheels to heavy items for towing... Does it exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garden is a full length church pew, which I want to move 100m up to the house. I can't get a van to it but I do have a tractor mower, however it's too long to fit the trailer.

I'm SURE I've seen people attach wheeled axles in similar scenarios, but I can't find anything online. Maybe I just don't know where to look or what they're called, any ideas?

I'm after sort of like a short simple dolly which is just two wheels (not castors, it's in the garden!) On which items can be rested or clamped to, then I can tow it easily.

Sponsored Links
https://www.hirestation.co.uk/basket/add-items/hire/360175/

For the cost of a week's hire you could go to a scrapyard and buy a couple of mini wheels and bodge something with some scaff tube. Or find someone with an old boat trailer.

You might get away with using ratchet straps to fit the tractor trailer to the end, and another ratchet strap to the tractor hook

Assuming you can lift one pew end (half the pew weight) safely, rope a sack trolley to the other end.

Would a pair of back to back wheel barrows do it, with the pew ratchet strapped on, one barrow pulled (front) and the other pushed?

Sponsored Links
1478572682204-P-199922.jpg

Yeah this is sort of what I pictured.

As others said, bodging something might be as effective

If theres nothing on the ground to damage to much,put the front up on the trailer and the rear on a tin sheet/peice of ply/osb as a skid.
Make a couple of holes though the front to attach ropes from there to the trailer so it all stays together...

A couple of bicycles with timber across the crossbars would do. They would need a person to hold them up but the weight wouldn't be excessive . You'd only need to suspend the pew from the timber, not lug the pew ontop.

A good sack truck is the answer, you will use it for other jobs too.

Failing that logs/round fenceposts/scaffold tubes as rollers

A good sack truck is the answer, you will use it for other jobs too.

Failing that logs/round fenceposts/scaffold tubes as rollers
Its got to go about 100m up a dirt track, up a hill. Definitely not going to be doing it by hand hence looking for a way to rig a trailer idea.

A sheet of plastic etc is an idea, I've seen that used for towing felled tree trunks before.

Its got to go about 100m up a dirt track, up a hill. Definitely not going to be doing it by hand hence looking for a way to rig a trailer idea.

A sheet of plastic etc is an idea, I've seen that used for towing felled tree trunks before.

Local farmer with a tractor and trailer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back