Auto Login and Logout!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a permanent link to my favourite DIYnot sub-forum in my favourites. Until recently I could click on this link, go to the forum and I would be automatically logged on.

I now find that I am taken to the forum page but not logged on. I have to click the logon button which takes me to a separate logon page which, thankfully, remembers my name and password. Having logged on , I am taken to the Forums Index page, not back to the forum I want; so I have to go through another step to get back to where I wanted to be in the first place.

I also find that, if I leave the computer for a short while such as just now when I stopped for lunch, when I get back to the computer I have been logged off and have to go through the whole ritual again.

Are you trying to make life as difficult as possible for users???

Sponsored Links
Are you clicking 'Remember me?' when you are logging in?

I would suggest you:

1) Click here - this will log you out, then follow the simple instructions to reset your DIYnot cookies (if you don't understand this don't worry, just click reset).
2) Login - remembering to tick the box that says 'Remember me?'

This hopefully will resolve your problem.

Let me know if you still encounter further problems.

Are you clicking 'Remember me?' when you are logging in?
Yes! Every time I log in.
Click here - this will log you out, then follow the simple instructions to reset your DIYnot cookies (if you don't understand this don't worry, just click reset).
Did that, but it made no difference. I checked my cookies and found that DIYnot was set to retain cookies for the session only, so I changed it to "always". Still made no difference.
Login - remembering to tick the box that says 'Remember me?'
No difference.

I closed down and restarted the browser after changing cookies to "always" as changes frequently only get implemented on startup; but that made no difference.

Just one thing, which I probably should have mentioned in my opening post :oops: , I a using Firefox. I do not have this problem with IE7.

When is the expiry date for the cookie : diynotusr_data ?

Sponsored Links
The other thing, when you click on 'Exceptions' button above 'Show Cookies' in Firefox, is DIYnot.com listed in the list?

Also when you click under the Cookies section in Firefox, is the 'Accept cookies from sites' box ticked? and underneath it says 'Keep until:', what does that say?

To answer both your replies:
When is the expiry date for the cookie : diynotusr_data ?
At end of session
The other thing, when you click on 'Exceptions' button above 'Show Cookies' in Firefox, is DIYnot.com listed in the list?
Yes, with Status: Allow
Also when you click under the Cookies section in Firefox, is the 'Accept cookies from sites' box ticked?
Yes
underneath it says 'Keep until:', what does that say?
They Expire.

Everything checks out, except the diynotusr_data cookie which, I would have thought, should have been kept until it expired, not just for the session.

It really is very strange, I'm using the same version of Firefox as you, the only difference being I don't have diynot.com in the exceptions list (having said that I just tried adding it and it didn't make any difference).

Can you try the reset link again, I have made a small change.

After you have done this and logged in, can you check your cookies and check whether there is a cookie called 'diynot_test' and when it is due to expire?

Do you have any other sort of Firefox Add-ons or general software installed that might interfere e.g. privacy type software etc.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

After you have done this and logged in, can you check your cookies and check whether there is a cookie called 'diynot_test' and when it is due to expire?
It's there and it expires at the end of the session.

Do you have any other sort of Firefox Add-ons or general software installed that might interfere e.g. privacy type software etc.
The only recent change is from MacAfee virus software to AVG Internet.

The diynot_test cookie is set to expire a year from when it was set (not at the end of the session), this is hardcoded and set without condition from this end. So, if your diynot_test cookie is due to expire at the end of the session, it would lead me to believe that something your end is making that so.

What version of AVG do you have? Has it installed the Toolbar?

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

exactly the same story with IE7 :confused:

What level is your Privacy set to in IE7? (Low, Medium, Medium High, etc)
(Tools > Internet Options > Privacy Tab)
Do you have any sort of privacy type software running? e.g. Norton etc.
When was it last working (auto login)?

What level is your Privacy set to in IE7? (Low, Medium, Medium High, etc)
(Tools > Internet Options > Privacy Tab)
Do you have any sort of privacy type software running? e.g. Norton etc.
When was it last working (auto login)?

privacy medium
no privacy sofware
AVG 8

working ok before the weekend

ticked remember me every time

WDIK, do you have toolbar installed also?

It's strange that it worked before the weekend, as no software has been changed that affects the login procedure.

Have you tried adding diynot.com to the 'Sites' tab, to see if that makes any difference?

Sponsored Links
Back