Automatic into neutral at lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been driving automatics for 50 years and I was taught to put the stick into neutral if I needed to stop for more than a few seconds (lights, slow queues etc.). so as not to dazzle the driver behind with the brake lights. (One video on YT says that you should use neutral at night but not necessarily during the day.) I did a test drive recently in a hybrid, so of course it's automatic. The salesman said that I just need to keep the footbrake pressed and not to touch the gearstick in the circumstances I mention above. There are lots of videos and articles about this issue, and very varied opinions. So can I ask:

What do the automatic drivers on this forum do?
Is there a different rule for hybrids?

Sponsored Links
Our EV has a mode where if you depress the brake pedal a bit harder, it goes into Autohold. You can then take your foot off the brake and it's like having the parking brake on, but it's still in D.

Then to take off, you just press the go pedal.

Our EV has a mode where if you depress the brake pedal a bit harder, it goes into Autohold. You can then take your foot off the brake and it's like having the parking brake on, but it's still in D.

Then to take off, you just press the go pedal.
My manual does that too but, it keeps the brake lights on until autohold releases.

Sponsored Links
Highway code rule 114 is clear enough.
Not that I always obey that (it's often a judgement call on how soon the traffic will move off again).

114. You MUST NOT
● use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
● use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've heard that more modern automatic gearboxes don't like frequent shifts between drive and neutral as this can cause damage. My test drive was in a (2024) Toyota Yaris Cross hybrid by the way - any owners out there to say what they do? Obviously I did as the salesman told me, but it did feel a bit weird.

Highway code rule 114 is clear enough.
Not that I always obey that (it's often a judgement call on how soon the traffic will move off again).
So, the modern cars are not compliant with the regulations, in regards to keeping the brake lights on with autohold?

With modern auto gearboxes, keep car in drive and put service brake on.
Or hold the brake pedal, who cares about it???

Both my cars are ZF autos, but have a combined age in excess of 60 years; so no fancy 'auto-hold' etc.
When stationary for more than a few seconds I simply apply the hand-brake whilst remaining in Drive.

In exceptional circumstances, ie long a traffic delay on a hot day I would select N, but if the wait was that long I'd be shutting the engine off as well.
I must admit I hate sitting behind a set of glaring brake lights, especially at night.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've heard that more modern automatic gearboxes don't like frequent shifts between drive and neutral as this can cause damage. My test drive was in a (2024) Toyota Yaris Cross hybrid by the way - any owners out there to say what they do? Obviously I did as the salesman told me, but it did feel a bit weird.
I have a Yaris Cross hybrid (72 plate)
I press the brake hold button, and when the car stops (so long as I brake it) the brakes hold me until I move off again.
I don’t touch the gear lever at these times.
John

My auto had foot pedal to apply handbrake and handle under dash to release , impossible to use in traffic .

Just checked and, yes, the brake lights are on in Autohold.

It would appear not.
If you read highway code rule 114, it says that you should take your foot off the brake. It doesn't say you must, as it does with the two conditions above that part.
I'm quite sure the manufacturers will know what theey are doing.

My Toyota C-HR hybrid has hill hold mode where you can sit at the lights without pressing the brake or having the handbrake on. If I sit for a few mins in this mode the dash shows a message telling me to put it in park. Try it in your Yaris Cross and see if it’s the same.

Sponsored Links
Back