Automatic into neutral at lights?

I've been driving automatics for 50 years and I was taught to put the stick into neutral if I needed to stop for more than a few seconds (lights, slow queues etc.). so as not to dazzle the driver behind with the brake lights.
Surely that is not the point.

You could still apply the handbrake - and release the footbrake - while leaving it in drive.

Just out of interest; did you not pass the test in a manual? How were you in a position to be taught about an automatic.

Sponsored Links
My Toyota C-HR hybrid has hill hold mode where you can sit at the lights without pressing the brake or having the handbrake on. If I sit for a few mins in this mode the dash shows a message telling me to put it in park. Try it in your Yaris Cross and see if it’s the same.
I'll do that Alan - I haven't seen anything yet though, but that maybe just coincidence.
Anyhoo.....my Yaris Cross = 57 MPG, down from 62 MPG in Summer;
A pal's 73 plate Kia Sportage S/Charge hybrid - 37 MPG. Something out of order there.....no point of having a hybrid if that's all you are going to get.
John :)

A pal's 73 plate Kia Sportage S/Charge hybrid - 37 MPG. Something out of order there.....no point of having a hybrid if that's all you are going to get.
There is a point if the majority of your journeys comprise of each-way mileages of less than 5 miles, plus the ability to charge on your driveway ;)

This one does a journey of 25 miles each way, and there is no plug in facility to charge it up from home.....that's taken care of by the petrol engine.
I'd be disappointed with it if it was mine.

Sponsored Links
2008 5 series I put it in park anytime I stop, simple button on top of the knob puts it in park and it's takes seconds to put it back in drive to pull off, not sure why anyone would want to sit with their foot on the brake

I've been driving automatics for 50 years and I was taught to put the stick into neutral if I needed to stop for more than a few seconds (lights, slow queues etc.). so as not to dazzle the driver behind with the brake lights. (One video on YT says that you should use neutral at night but not necessarily during the day.) I did a test drive recently in a hybrid, so of course it's automatic. The salesman said that I just need to keep the footbrake pressed and not to touch the gearstick in the circumstances I mention above. There are lots of videos and articles about this issue, and very varied opinions. So can I ask:

What do the automatic drivers on this forum do?
Is there a different rule for hybrids?
To drive company vehicles I had a second round of driving instruction. During that time I was taught that I should keep my foot on the footbrake pedal to keep the brake lights illuminated. Also I was also taught that I shall keep the indicator on when halted at Traffic light controlled junction when turning left or right at that junction.

I've also been in 2 accidents where the vehicle was rear ended, both occasions the driver of the vehicle had stopped, put the handbrake on and foot off the brake pedal so the brake lights weren't working - both times the driver of the vehicle that hit us said, in 'mitigation', I thought you were moving off as your brake lights were not illuminated. Second time it happened the Police were called and they checked the brake lights to see if they were working - one was, one the bulb glass was broken. The Police recommended to the driver (not me) should keep their foot on the footbrake to keep the brake lights illuminated.

Most HGV's seem to illuminate the Brakelights with the ignition on and the handbrake applied.

I owned and driven automatic transmission cars for nearly 30 years. Never put one into neutral or park when at traffic lights. Had a look into the handbook for the first one I had (with Borg-Warner slush box), that offered no advice about selecting neutral when stopped in traffic, did recommend car should be held on the footbrake rather than the parking brake. It also recommended that a transmission oil cooler should be fitted to vehicle used for towing or in heavy traffic in Hot climes.

An auto transmission BMW I drove with Stop/Start technology would stop the engine when brought to a halt and held for >5 seconds on the footbrake, put the parking brake on and the engine would remain running; the manual transmission Golf I had did similar, stop, G/B in neutral, footbrake on - engine stopped, put the parking brake on and the engine would start.

Edit: reference to BMW to have Automatic Transmission added.

Last edited:
During that time I was taught that I should keep my foot on the footbrake pedal to keep the brake lights illuminated.
I was taught to come to a stop, apply handbrake and feet off the pedals...
But also to keep all round awareness, with an eye on the mirrors. The break lights can then be illuminated to warn other drivers.
A BMW I drove with Stop/Start technology would stop the engine when brought to a halt and held for >5 seconds on the footbrake,
Interesting you bring up S/S - my car will only stop the engine if the handbrake is on and the car is in neutral - holding it on the brake and putting it into neutral won't work. So with S/S operaring, my brake lights won't be on.

Worst of all worlds.
On what level?
Most of our (or rather 'ere indoors) journeys are less than 5 miles each way so surely a plug-in hybrid, charged at home, would give her the necessary range with the back-up of an engine if deciding to venture further afield on any occasion.

For pre-planned longer journeys I have a modern classic that enables us to travel in comfort & style, rather than bouncing down the road in a tin box.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the interesting comments. I went back for a second test drive yesterday. When at a red light, you press a button near the gearstick ('Hold') and then take your foot off the brake. To move off, you press the accelerator lightly and the brake disengages - no need to press any buttons. Or for a short stop you just keep your foot on the brake as usual. I'm disabled since age 14 (deformity in left leg) and have driven automatics all my life. I passed my test in 1971 (decimal week in fact) and I did the special test for disabled people, which I don't think exists now. It was an automatic, of course. It was February and there was heavy frost, a bit of snow and it was foggy - this was Manchester. The examiner said at the beginning that he would take me out but the test might have to be abandoned, so that really put me at ease (NOT!). I passed and he said at the end that I could have the normal automatic license with no caveats. Must have driven 20+ models since then; but my first hybrid was this week!
Anyway, I was hooked and my Toyota Yaris Cross will be delivered sometime in June.

On what level?
Most of our (or rather 'ere indoors) journeys are less than 5 miles each way so surely a plug-in hybrid, charged at home, would give her the necessary range with the back-up of an engine if deciding to venture further afield on any occasion.

For pre-planned longer journeys I have a modern classic that enables us to travel in comfort & style, rather than bouncing down the road in a tin box.

On the level that the cost to insure, maintain, and suffer depreciation for such short journeys makes it not really beneficial.

Although in fairness to you, my lazy quoting chopped off the "S/charge" bit; we have these at work, and they really are the worst of all worlds.

Until I can go full EV, dirty diesel is my preference (y)

On the level that the cost to insure, maintain, and suffer depreciation for such short journeys makes it not really beneficial.

Although in fairness to you, my lazy quoting chopped off the "S/charge" bit; we have these at work, and they really are the worst of all worlds.

Until I can go full EV, dirty diesel is my preference (y)
Thanks for the reply. The idea for a plug-in is purely a fuel saving move as she is currently using my classic, which on such short journeys in winter burns through a litre of unleaded in just 4 miles, plus increased wear 'n tear.

Interestingly I'm the opposite to you in my opinions with regard to diesel cars & full EV's
Wouldn't do for all of us to be of the same mind though :rolleyes:

With modern auto gearboxes, keep car in drive and put service brake on.
Or hold the brake pedal, who cares about it???
The bloke behind when the ****ing idiot in front is blinding him with brake lights especially at night.

Sponsored Links
Back