B&Q 45 day rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dextrous

So, had to take a couple of roller blinds back to B&Q (wrong colour - wanted to change for more expensive ones). Didn't have the receipt, and was relying on the usual credit note valid for the day. This has never been a problem before.

But now, after extensive advertising (funny, I've never seen it), B&Q are no longer willing to refund or credit note anything without the receipt. Moreover, even with a receipt, they will only refund up to a period of 45 days.

Can this be right?

As it happens, I managed to pursuade the duty manager to get the receipt up from their system since I had the credit card used, and the original purchase was ony a couple of weeks ago. Having found this on the system quite easily, she couldn't understand my argument that as credit card transactions are kept on the system for a few months anyway, and that I was well within my rights to request a printout of a duplicate receipt, that this 45 day rule was flawed from the outset.

Sponsored Links
It'a quite usual for any shop/company to insist on the receipt for items bought before a refund/credit note can be issued. This is to stop shoplifters stealing something one day and taking it back the next for a refund. I bought a TV from Asda a few years ago and it broke down within a fortnight, eben though it was their own brand, they wouldn't replace it without the receipt.
TBQH it seems fair enough to expect a customer to hang on to a receipt for a few weeks. By the same token, your refund would be back into your credit card account and not paid out in cash.

It just seems a bit out of the blue - I've used the credit note thing several times over the years in several different stores (such as Wickes). Also, since they have a credit card record, I can't see why they don't at least limit the refund thing to cash sales if they must.

Also, 45 days - is that within reason?

recession or hard times since its over. they want to make giving money back harder

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking a shop only has to give a refund/credit note if the goods are faulty/not as described.
If it is the wrong size/shape colour or you just change your mind they are under no obligation to do anything. As is often the case with 'asian' shops.

Strictly speaking a shop only has to give a refund/credit note if the goods are faulty/not as described.
If it is the wrong size/shape colour or you just change your mind they are under no obligation to do anything.
Wasn't aware of that. Thought it was somewhere within "statutory rights" and "cooling off period".

you buy the wrong thing your legal entitlement is zero

you buy somthing faulty or not as advertised you can take it back
if its not fit for purpose you get your money back
of its faulty you get it repaired or your money back after reasonable attempts to repair the item

drat dextrous beat me to it :D :D

distance selling act is a different matter because things are posted and you cant check untill it arrives

Nope.
Cooling off periods apply to things like HP agreements etc
Statutory rights are your rights to expect the goods to be 'of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose they are designed for'.

If you buy something of a certain size then get home and find you have measured up wrong thats your fault and therefore your loss. Most shops who give refunds/exchanges after you have bought something do so as a goodwill gesture. Its not a legal requirement unless one of the above conditions exist.

Further, if you return something to a shop who do give refunds/exchanges and you have no receipt, then when you take it back it has been reduced in price they will usually only give you the reduced price as you have no proof of the price you paid for it. Some builders merchants actually charge you an administration fee if they give refunds. All legal so long as it is displayed/printed on your invoice/receipt.

Thank you all for clarifying consumer law on this - even though it's really not what I wanted to hear :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ;)

go and buy the correct item at the correct price
place the wrong one in the new package and take it back as incorrect
did i realy advocate "cheating" :eek: :eek: ;)

Or take the item out of the package and damage it slightly?

To be fair dex, I think 45 days is a fair old amount of time to take something back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back