B&Q 8 watt kitchen unit light

Sponsored Links
anything that isn't from B&Q.

You say it dims to almost nothing. Is it on a normal toggle switch? If so, it has probably got faulty electronics - take it back and get a refund, it is not "fit for purpose".

Thanks
I realised now the tube has gone :confused: (after approx 15 hours usage)
Whats a toggle switch?
Its wired up to a 5amp plug.

toggle switch = normal on/off switch

as opposed to dimmer switch

Sponsored Links
I drilled into a hidden cable & blew the kitchen sockets fuse the other evening, everything working ok again now (kettle, fridge, TV), could this have damaged the light/tube tho?

I doubt drilling through a cable would cause a tube to go, but like I said, take the faulty part back, B&Q should replace it Free of charge (if you're sure it is the tube. sometimes the electronics fail, or the starter switch if there is one. might be best to take the whole lot back)

Magnolia Matt said:
I drilled into a hidden cable & blew the kitchen sockets fuse the other evening, everything working ok again now
How did you repair the damage?

We had a 450watt chisel gun running off that socket for about 20 minutes today .......... the builder said it should be ok.

What should I have used? Junction box?

#1 option would have been to replace the cable.

Junction boxes or choc-block (in a choc-box) need to be accessible for inspection.

As it was a buried cable, I assume you want to keep it that way, in which case you should have used crimps applied with a ratchet crimper, heat-shrink sleeving and waterproof self-amalgamating tape.

Ok ..... well .... Option 1 would have cost £500 at current Sparky prices considering the cable run involved.
Junction box accessible for inspection ... i.e. 2 blank cover plates over each connection strip join ......... would spoil the decor big time.
crimps applied with a ratchet crimper, heat-shrink sleeving and waterproof self-amalgamating tape. ... presumably this is what a Sparky would have charged the £500 for ... I did better, I covered connector strips with very expensive Gaffer Tape
Seriously tho' ..... next time I drill thru a cable I will ask on here first before forging ahead.

You need to undo what you have done, and remake it properly.

As it stands it is dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back