Back boiler...

• Thread starter Female Plumber
  • Start date
F

Female Plumber

Hi,

Just want to get a second opinion from you experts :D

I serviced a back boiler yesterday and had to ID it because it was spilling like no mans land (and was in a really bad state!) The customer wasn't fazed by it as she hates the sight of it! Was thinking of capping the back boiler off, gas and flow and return, ripping it out and just leaving her with the immersion heater! She would be happy to do that until she can afford a combi. She isn't bothered that she wont have central heating because it's a small enough house to have oil heaters when the weather gets cold for now! Any easier options/second opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys - newly corgi registered!x

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just want to get a second opinion from you experts :D

I serviced a back boiler yesterday and had to ID it because it was spilling like no mans land (and was in a really bad state!) The customer wasn't fazed by it as she hates the sight of it! Was thinking of capping the back boiler off, gas and flow and return, ripping it out and just leaving her with the immersion heater! She would be happy to do that until she can afford a combi. She isn't bothered that she wont have central heating because it's a small enough house to have oil heaters when the weather gets cold for now! Any easier options/second opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys - newly corgi registered!x

hope you capped it anyway as ID
nothing easier then leaving it there till she can have the work done

You made the right decision ;)

NEVER let your standards drop from this level, no matter how much pressure you may be put under.

You may lose a few customers on the way, but will gain the good ones and their respect, as well as stay out of clink :LOL:

Yeh, I capped it off.... just ment chopping gas pipe back and capping off! No way will I ever let standards slip when gas is involved!! It's my way or the high-way Mr Customer!!! ;)

Thanks you 2.. I've got a feeling I'll be on this a lot more in the future. Prefer to get someone's second opinion on things in some cases. I may be female but I know I don't and never will know EVERYTHING!! (well, i do in some cases!!) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Not too sure what you mean about flow and return. You don't have to go over the top as the cust. will probably have a rethink next week and decide they do want the bbu working and can you retest and identify a cause for the spillage?.
Don't be tempted to carry out work that isn't required thinking you are carrying out a superior service it will always come back to bite you.

As has been mentioned, did you identify the cause off spillage.

Possible a good service and additional vent is all that is required.
Was the flue capped, may just be deris in the flue.

Welcome to the forum:cool: , have a look at the link to the gas chamber and join, much more info given in there.

;)

Don't be tempted to carry out work that isn't required thinking you are carrying out a superior service it will always come back to bite you.

Quite right also don't be tempted to carry out work that is over and above what your getting paid for its too easy to do when your starting out.

Did you locate the reason for spillage? Did it pass a flue flow check?

Perhaps I am missing something but I dont see why the OP being female has anything to do with this boiler problem.

She should register to post in the Combustion Chamber in case she needs any advice on gas work in the future.

Tony

Perhaps I am missing something but I dont see why the OP being female has anything to do with this boiler problem.

She should register to post in the Combustion Chamber in case she needs any advice on gas work in the future.

Tony

a stunningly useless posting as usual.

Tony

just register and get in the combustion chamber your saying too much girl

sorry Tony meant for the op as well :LOL: :LOL:

All discussions on gas regulations and interpretations are better placed in the Combustion Chamber and not in public view.

Nikso, I believe that males and females should be treated equally in the workplace based on their own merits.

Tony

Seems we have all missed something you have spotted Tony, what is it you spotted with reguards a problem and the OP being female.

Got me confused now, maybe cause im male :eek: :LOL:

;)

Um thats probably because it doesn't and nobody has claimed it did or made any gender assumptions (bar the OP) until you came along.

Tony

I think you'll find there is no 'should' about it, there are still a few of us who have no intention of succumbing to the gas magic circle.

All discussions on gas regulations and interpretations are better placed in the Combustion Chamber and not in public view.

no, thats your opinion not fact tony. there is a difference.

Nikso, I believe that males and females should be treated equally in the workplace based on their own merits.

wow, a sentence from tony that i agree on. not sure why you had to post it though. :confused:

im off for a lie down, agreeing with tony is most disturbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back