Back Garden Boudary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to attach a fence to the wall that divides my and my neighbour's back garden as it is a low wall and I want privacy for my family. Do you know the law? If she says no then can we still do it?

I don't know who owns it in the deeds but she is saying that she is the owner.

Let me know what you think. I can't bare her always say in her conservatory gawping in

Sponsored Links
Check the deeds? Usually an arrow shows who is responsible.
If it turns out not to be you, not a problem. Erect a 6ft fence next to/touching the wall. That's allowed. Just don't drill into it.

On your own property you can carry out any work that the Planning Law permits. Just do not trespass onto the neighbour.

If you can bear losing the space, put your new fence up 18"* away from the wall anyway. That way you can get along behind annually to inspect and treat it.

* Adjust for your manly physique!:D

Sponsored Links
Check the deeds? Usually an arrow shows who is responsible.
If it turns out not to be you, not a problem. Erect a 6ft fence next to/touching the wall. That's allowed. Just don't drill into it.
I have requested the deeds so I will hopefully be pleasantly surprised!

£3 land registry direct

Fees changes for historical copies
Each application for a historical copy of the register costs:

• £3 more when lodged electronically
  • £7 more by post
Each application of an historical copy of a title plan costs:

• £3 more when lodged electronically
  • £7 more by post
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

If you can bear losing the space, put your new fence up 18"* away from the wall anyway. That way you can get along behind annually to inspect and treat it.

* Adjust for your manly physique!:D

Do NOT do this. ^^^
If you do this you are giving away 18" of your property to your rear neighbour.
Instead, make it so that the panels can be removed to be treated in subsequent years.

That way you retain to the extent of your property and get to block her out from gawping at you.

Do no attach to the wall, instead put posts in close to it.

Thanks all for your replies. Really helpful. I am getting big plant pots and concreting posts into them and just having them stand freely near the wall

They will fall over/be blown over with wind.
Dig 2 foot holes into the ground and concrete them in, right upto the wall for best effect.

They will fall over/be blown over with wind.
Dig 2 foot holes into the ground and concrete them in, right upto the wall for best effect.

hmmmm very good point! The thing is I have just has a patio put down so I'm a bit reluctant to have to lift them to dig down into the ground

Do NOT do this. ^^^
If you do this you are giving away 18" of your property to your rear neighbour.

Sorry, that's patent rubbish. Are you picturing them taking down the wall and having parties in the 18 inches? Take the panels down to treat/maintain them? Yeah that's going to happen.

No Charlie, your the one talking rubbish mate.

Yes, what you suggest does happen, people take down the wall and claim the land without the owner noticing.
They remove it, turf it and enjoy another 18" of land.

Don't believe me go ask on Gardenlaw where they will tell you the same, there are many threads on there where people have asked for help because of it.

As for taking the panels down, it's about as likely as them being able to get over them to get to the land behind to maintain them (you did not mention adding a gate).
We all know the panels will likely just be left with only the visible side painted.

Leaving a big gap is tantamount to giving the land away, saying "I no longer want to use it".
ISTR that on Gardenlaw the comment often given is that the law expects you to fence your land to the fullest (if you add a fence that is).

you dont need a gap behind your fence panels 25mm off the line with your posts either slide in panels on concrete or "u" brackets or wood screws directly into wood posts then remove iff you must to treat ----- i never ever treat fence panel just add a home made cap from 2x1 treated when they give up after about 7 years and repair the staves with 19x38mm tile batten as and when they wear out or break giving about 20 years to a fence panel

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back