bad spelling competition

Sponsored Links
I bought a garden shed recently and I specified that I wanted it to have "double doors" so that I could get my lawnmower in easily. When I was treating (fence defence or something) the shed I noticed that just on the part of the floor where the doors close, someone has written a reminder that I wanted double doors. The reminder says "duble dore". I couldn't bring myself to treat that part.

I'm just about to cut the grass and I noticed that I'd got duble dore wrong, it should be dubel dore.

I agree with you that, in a general forum, it really isn't that important. But that's not what Bolo was saying; or at least that is not what I inferred from his comment, following on as it did from his comment about marking.

The point I was making was that spellink and gran'ma have got worse, because it's not corrected in the early years. It's not corrected because of the teaching fraternity deliberately placing less emphasis on correct grammar and spelling. I think that's wrong. I think that, as a result of that lack of correction and input in their education, a lot of people struggle to make themselves understood.

Freeform is ok, when you've learnt to do the proper stuff; but not as a way on its own.
Yes, I would tend to agree with you on those points Shy.

Two scousers, in the Army and away from home. One is writing home to his wife and asks his scouse mate "how do you spell Darryl".

His mate asks why.

"'cause i'm sending some ackers home to the missus so she can buy a pair of shoes for our little-un, Darryl fit im".

His mate says "it aint Darryl you clown it's wottle!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I bought a garden shed recently and I specified that I wanted it to have "double doors" so that I could get my lawnmower in easily. When I was treating (fence defence or something) the shed I noticed that just on the part of the floor where the doors close, someone has written a reminder that I wanted double doors. The reminder says "duble dore". I couldn't bring myself to treat that part.

I'm just about to cut the grass and I noticed that I'd got duble dore wrong, it should be dubel dore.
You didnt buy it off of Harry Potter did you?

bolo said:
In any case, it is more important that the writer gets the message across than that the spelling in the message is correct.

OK, this is a DIY forum, not the Lit and Phil, so the occasional spelling mistake is to be expected. I think that's what bolo meant. What matters here is our ability to decipher a post - in which case I would suggest that bad grammar is a much bigger problem!

On the other hand, if you want to call yourself a writer you really need to master the language first. Many years ago I heard a teacher claim that spelling and grammar got in the way of creative writing. Sorry, but that's total bollix. You have to learn the skill before you can practice the art.

I think Shytalkz is dead right; the standard of English in the general population is going down. When I was at school we had spelling drummed into us. I forget how many times the teacher made me write out the words "immediately", "necessary" and "desiccate" until I got them right but it was a lot!

I realize - and yes, realize IS spelt with a z - that language evolves. I regularly use new(ish) words like "woofer" and "triac" so I can't really turn my nose up at "yuppy" or "minging" (is "ming" a verb or does it only exist as the adjectival form? :confused: :confused: :confused: ) but I have to draw the line at the use of "i" as the personal pronoun. For God's sake - or is that "gods sake" these days - how much effort does it take to hold down the Caps Shift key! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PS: Language does indeed evolve. While flipping through an old dictionary I stumbled upon the following definition: "Paroxysm of desire, rage or other passion". You work it out. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back