bad spelling competition

I bought a garden shed recently and I specified that I wanted it to have "double doors" so that I could get my lawnmower in easily. When I was treating (fence defence or something) the shed I noticed that just on the part of the floor where the doors close, someone has written a reminder that I wanted double doors. The reminder says "duble dore". I couldn't bring myself to treat that part.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I don't have a problem with other peoples spelling, grammar etc., especially on forums

Posters might have Dyslexia, or have English as a second language, so why feel the need to comment or take the P I S S? :confused:

Personally, I don't have a problem with other peoples spelling, grammar etc., especially on forums

Posters might have Dyslexia, or have English as a second language, so why feel the need to comment or take the p**s? :confused:

i don't have a great problem with it, I'm not the best speller myself, but to me that was so far wide of the mark, when someone was trying to sell something, that i thought it was worth commenting on. Some might find it interesting, some might not, its a forum, take your pick, i don't really mind!

Sponsored Links
The reminder says "duble dore". I couldn't bring myself to treat that part.
Despite what people think about me, I'm a big soft sod really. I liked that little story Stivino.

EDIT: But I still don't understand why we can't post a word like 'sod'. :rolleyes:

The number of people who put "off" instead of "of", and "brought" instead of "bought".eg.I brought it, instead of, I bought it.
It was one off many,
After 44 years at the chalk face, I can honestly say that the two examples you quote appear in scripts, very, very, rarely. I have just marked close to 150 papers without a single example of either. In any case, it is more important that the writer gets the message across than that the spelling in the message is correct.

The number of people who put "off" instead of "of", and "brought" instead of "bought".eg.I brought it, instead of, I bought it.
It was one off many,
After 44 years at the chalk face, I can honestly say that the two examples you quote appear in scripts, very, very, rarely. I have just marked close to 150 papers without a single example of either.
It's 'without a single example 'off' either', bolo man! :D :D :D

In any case, it is more important that the writer gets the message across than that the spelling in the message is correct.
That is just complete and utter rubbish - and is the oft quoted reason for sheer laziness and as justification for dumbing down. Spelling and grammar are not hard: it just takes some effort to learn. Like most things.

If you were sent a legal document, or, say, a home buyers' report, littered with spelling and grammatical errors, then are you telling me that you wouldn't feel even just a tiny bit circumspect regarding the competency of the author? Would you expect to read one of the broadsheets and find it littered with such (Guardian excepted)?

You and those of your ilk start the rot by being refuseniks and not correcting errors. Your students will go through life thinking it's fine to stick apostrophes where they've no right to be; or missing them out all together. That's how we come to have idiots in power who write potato's as the plural form. On national TV.

I agree with bolo, making yourself understood is the most important point. YES, we should all strive to improve our communication skills but lets not take this out of context. I knew that bolo was making a 'general' comment in relation to the subject. I would suggest most people reading this thread knew that. Of course a 'Legal Document' needs to be right! :rolleyes: But that is taking the subject to a totally different level. We are in a 'General Discussion' forum. There will be/are people here of all educational backgrounds/levels. You/we cannot expect everyone to have the same command of English Grammar, Punctuation, etc.

Am gan 4 a cuppa me like. :D

I agree with you that, in a general forum, it really isn't that important. But that's not what Bolo was saying; or at least that is not what I inferred from his comment, following on as it did from his comment about marking.

The point I was making was that spellink and gran'ma have got worse, because it's not corrected in the early years. It's not corrected because of the teaching fraternity deliberately placing less emphasis on correct grammar and spelling. I think that's wrong. I think that, as a result of that lack of correction and input in their education, a lot of people struggle to make themselves understood.

Freeform is ok, when you've learnt to do the proper stuff; but not as a way on its own.

Sponsored Links
Back