Bad turf job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had someone to lay turf in the garden, looks awful. He didn't stagger the joints, didn't cut it into the edges, didn't even use a board to stand on. There is paving at either side of it so I figured it would be nice and level in between but there is high spots 2 inches above paving level and hollows 2" below the level of the paving so a 4" variation in some heights on a small patch of lawn.

Can it be saved? if we water it and try to get it established and then maybe try and level it with some topsoil? Moneys tight and we cant really afford to rip it up if we can help it. Ill try and upload some photos

Thanks

Sponsored Links
IMG-20170327-WA0009.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0008.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0007.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0006.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0005.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0004.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0003.jpg

Its much easier to deal with it now before it roots. Turf is tough you can be rough with it and it will be fine. Simply roll back the worst areas, level the soil with a rake or add some topsoil if a low spot and roll it back down. If its awful you could redo the whole thing by rolling it all back up and leveling the lot with a straight piece of long timber which is what he should have done.

Then roll it back out and stagger the joints while your at it. Do not be afraid of damaging turf, the only thing that will damage it is lack of water or leaving it rolled up for more than a day or two.

You could even leave it rolled out on the flags for a week and as long as you watered it it would come to no major harm.

Oh and unroll your spare rolls asap in case you need them. If you plan on lifting it all

Sponsored Links
Thanks r896neo, think I'll redo the whole lot myself. When they're laid properly how should the seams look? I'm expecting to still see the outline of individual turfs, am I being a bit harsh on the bloke thinking that those seams are terrible?

The seams will be visible as they get a bit rubbed and smeared by the cutting machine but the reason for staggering like brickwork is to avoid gaps opening up as they may shrink a little in the first few days.

They will be evident for a few weeks at least but are no real issue.

You will have about 2 weeks before it roots

Took it up and re laid it myself, looks better now. ...and he's supposed to be a professional! !!!! thanks for your advice r896neo, much appreciated(y)

Good on you! keep watering and try and stay off it for a few weeks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back