Badly fitted Grant Oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in some sort of hell with our 2 year old Grant Boiler. It was fitted by a local company that has now gone bust.
It hasn't worked well until we had it serviced by an unconnected chap a couple of months ago. It's an oil fired floor standing Vortex Eco model.

The original fitter did not connect the Snorkel tube but worse than that, he ran the pipework inside the boiler casing, so that we can't feed the snorkel tube underneath the metal brace that runs across the top of the boiler. At the moment the lid of the boiler is off and so that the tube can be fitted.

The boiler is working beautifully now, but the cap who serviced it and noted the snorkel problem doesn't want to de-install and re-install it properly and we're struggling to find a solution. The house is on the market so we need to sort this.

First question is I assume that the snorkel tube is actually required?

Simon

Sponsored Links
Yes the tube is required. A couple of photos would help us to give you further advice

Yes the tube is required. A couple of photos would help us to give you further advice

Here's my attempt at a couple of pictures

20191226_155312.jpg

20191226_155331.jpg

The 2nd picture shows the structural bar that the Snorkel is supposed to run underneath, but the fitter has run a copper pipe behind it which means there isn't space for the snorkel to fit through. I guess he made this mistake and then realised, so left the snorkel only attached at one end.

Simon

I can't see the pipe you're talking about from the photos... try using your flash. I can see that your pressure relief valve isn't connected though, and that needs attending to before you get a flood

Sponsored Links
These are always awkward to connect the air tube. You will find that the hose can be flattened to feed it through the tight gaps, then opened back out. Also, you don't need to use the full length. Cut off the excess length so you don't have to find somewhere for it to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back