bang!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DIY Disaster: Just blew a speed regulator for a small electric motor. It wouldn't work from a DC adapter so I wired it into a mains cable. Silly thing to do but at wits end. Bang! Took out two 13 amp fuses, mercifully didn't blow any of the flat fuses in the main board.

sigh

Back to the drawing board.

:unsure:

PG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You ain't gotcha motor switched on mate ;)

The motor works great at all voltages on the adapter - couldn't get any sense out of the speed controller though. I'm now stuck with 25 revolutions per second at the lowest setting (3v) but I need 17 revs. I thought adding the speed controller to the circuit would be the perfect answer but it has turned into a DIY nightmare.

You ain't gotcha motor switched on mate ;)

The motor works great at all voltages on the adapter - couldn't get any sense out of the speed controller though. I'm now stuck with 25 revolutions per second at the lowest setting (3v) but I need 17 revs. I thought adding the speed controller to the circuit would be the perfect answer but it has turned into a DIY nightmare.
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and at times expensive!
Only someone with a death wish would wire somthing requiring low voltage DC, direct to the AC mains.

Wotan

Possibly so, but that would be presuming that they knew something required low voltage DC in the first place. Wisdom after the event is a fine thing indeed ;)

Was there not a clue in the description from the maplin?

It didn't come from Maplin. Anyway, the motor is up & running now and the speed regulator is brilliant. Thanks to all for help, I am older & hopefully a little wiser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back