banister construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just bought all the parts neccessary to make a horisontal banister rail on the landing.
Newell post, banister rail and balusters/spindles.
I was curious what the normal method is for attaching the spindles to both the floor and to the banister rail, i cant imagine glue would be sufficient.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
The spindles are not glued or nailed at all. Your handrail and baserail should have housing, (same width as spindle) running along their length. The spindles are held in place by glueing/pinning spacers in the housings at the required spacing (usually 100mm).

All fillets and spindles should be glued and pinned to the handrail and baserail, using a PVA Resin W woodworkers glue when installing Pine, Hemlock and Dark hardwood stair balustrading.

Use Urea Formaldehyde adhesive when using Oak. Use 25mm length panel pins .

thanks folks.

I catually found the original hand rail and newell post underneath the plasterboard stud wall. The handrail and floor both had housings for the spindles so i simply cut them to size and glued them in place.

So not only do the banisters match the ones on the other side, I can also take the newell post i bought back to the shop and get the 20 quid back that i paid for it.

'Jobs a guddun' as they say

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I am doing the same and was wondering the best place to buy these things, I mean the whole banister set: handrail, baserail and spindles. In my case it is a fairly short one (about 1m).

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks

The spindles are not glued or nailed at all. Your handrail and baserail should have housing, (same width as spindle) running along their length. The spindles are held in place by glueing/pinning spacers in the housings at the required spacing (usually 100mm).
he not quite write with the older type of spindle you would need to chisel out the landing and place the spindle in it the top hand rail is then placed on it and spacer are then fitted

heeelllooo and welcome usdiy :D :D :D

suspect it may be sorted now as the origional post was 5 year ago ;) ;)

Oh, I don't know

I've got unfinished jobs at home from over five years ago :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back