Barn door track installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out...
I'm wanting to install a double barn door over the kitchen opening to keep out pesky pets whilst cooking.
I have the doors and track kit all ready to go however due to having a picture rail and coving around door will need to install a panel for the track to sit on to give it some distance from the wall.
This is when I've run into the problem: I can't for the life of me drill far enough into the wall to put any screws or wall plugs. Some of the holes have gone in about 2cm, some I can't even get 2mm before hitting what I'm guessing is metal. I believe this used to be an external wall (1840s Victorian 2 bed terrace-kitchen probably added on as extension) and I've encountered a metal lintel above the door?

Is there any way I can get a panel on/does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

A
16161610496267405661098624878223.jpg

Sponsored Links
Might Also be a concrete lintel.

What type drill are you using - battery, mains, SDS?

Otherwise get a SDS Drill:
https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/drills/cat830704#category=cat830818&sort_by=price

Or some No more nails onto the wood along whole length and some clamps to pull it onto wall whilst it drys.
Issue with that is that it is a painted wall so only as stong as the paint.
But more length makes for more surface and more strength.

Or longer wood than lintel, Screw onto wall at far left and right and also use no more nails entire length.

SFK

Hi,
Thanks for your reply and advice!

I've actually just tried with a different, fresh drill bit and managed to go a bit further into each hole with red&grey dust coming out, I guess you're right then about the concrete lintel!

The drill I've been using is an erbauer battery combi, I've tried both the hammer and regular settings with similar results.

Fingers crossed I just need better drill bits to get the holes deep enough for the wall bolts (30mm), if not I will definitely take your advice on adding a longer strip of wood

Thanks again,
A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back