Basic roof tile question......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved and noticed that where our garage and bungalow roofs meet just above the guttering, there appears to be a cover or something else missing on the end tile - underneath the tile looks exposed to the elements so just concerned that with rain and a strong wind, water will get blown under the tile and cause internal damage. Photos attached, area marked red. Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20170814_200659778.jpg
    IMG_20170814_200659778.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20170814_200718402.jpg
    IMG_20170814_200718402.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20170814_200747278.jpg
    IMG_20170814_200747278.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 327
Sponsored Links
That is a crap detail.

We build this particular junction so that the valley finishes a course or two tiles short of the gutter and spills onto the tiles on the opposing elevation - via a lead soaker. Easier to do with a dry valley and regular valleys - not so easy with a tiled valley.

That is a crap detail.

We build this particular junction so that the valley finishes a course or two tiles short of the gutter and spills onto the tiles on the opposing elevation - via a lead soaker. Easier to do with a dry valley and regular valleys - not so easy with a tiled valley.

Do you have any photos? I'm going to have to do two of these in the next couple of months and I've been wondering how to finish it nicely. So far my best bet was to get the matching end caps to fit the dry valleys I was going to use.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any photos? I'm going to have to do two of these in the next couple of months and I've been wondering how to finish it nicely. So far my best bet was to get the matching end caps to fit the dry valleys I was going to use.

No I haven't and I did scratch my head the first time I came across it. I've done a few since and they look and perform a lot better.
It's the unique junction where you have a valley terminating at a gable verge.
In the OP's image the bottom course on the left should have been kept whole and extended across so that the valley ran onto these tiles and then into the gutter.

The nearest I have is the image below and it shows the valley discharging onto the last course of the opposing elevation....

No I haven't and I did scratch my head the first time I came across it. I've done a few since and they look and perform a lot better.
It's the unique junction where you have a valley terminating at a gable verge.
In the OP's image the bottom course on the left should have been kept whole and extended across so that the valley ran onto these tiles and then into the gutter.

The nearest I have is the image below and it shows the valley discharging onto the last course of the opposing elevation....

That looks odd. The designer should have designed it with a box on the left of the gable to match the right-hand side.

That looks odd. The designer should have designed it with a box on the left of the gable to match the right-hand side.
Yeah the anomaly surfaced early on, even when I was pricing it. I could not convey back to the arcitect the problem that was courting occurring due to the allowance of cavity wall thickness one side but not the other - in temp terms of wall plate location etc. There is a thread on here somewhere about the very subject.

However, it kinda gives an idea of how the OPs roof should have looked. This particular detail is addressed at the roof building stage rather than the roof tiling stage.

Last edited:

Ideally the door opening would have needed to be a brick and a half over to the left (but couldnt) otherwise it would have meant the soffit box would have been in an odd position over the doorway.

Yeah the anomaly surfaced early on, even when I was pricing it. I could not convey back to the arcitect the problem that was courting due to the allowance of cavity wall thickness one side but not the other - in temp of wall plate location etc. There is a thread on here somewhere about the very subject.

However, it kinda gives an idea of how the OPs roof should have looked. This particular detail is addressed at the roof building stage rather than the roof tiling stage.
Could a gable ladder not have been added to make the verge overhang more so that it aligned with the eaves? Or am I off the page here?

/doesn’t get his hands dirty

I think I know what you mean... something like the following, but the left hand wing being a simple gable, and with one fewer row of tiles under the valley discharge:

Thanks everyone for all the insight. Question is, is it fine to leave it as it is - underneath of the tile looks very exposed to the elements!

The original picture Shows the bottom of the valley and verge detail.
Its not normally finished like that at all.
Before the valley tiles were cut and fitted a lead saddle should have been fitted this would have protected the timber and also diverted anything from the verge into the gutter.
How ever, it wont be too long before the valley fails and will need replacing. Then it can all be corrected along with any timber rot.

Sorry about my grammar earlier - spill chucker on my phone interpreted it wrong.
I think I know what you mean... something like the following, but the left hand wing being a simple gable, and with one fewer row of tiles under the valley discharge:
Yeah, you get the idea.

Could a gable ladder not have been added to make the verge overhang more so that it aligned with the eaves? Or am I off the page here?
I did what I did to avoid building a symmetrical (and with fascias/barges in line) gable which would have placed the soffit box in an odd position over the door. It would have looked awful. So I set it back to just avoid what the eye was expecting but with the layout of the building being unable to deliver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back