Bastards have nicked my tools

Sponsored Links
Sadly their will always be a market for stolen tools. And I think its the younger trades people who jump at the chance to buy them.
They usually can't afford quality tools and haven't had enough life experience. Like having their own gear nicked.

I worked with a bloke once who had expensive tools stolen.
I always pitied anyone genuine selling tools from the back of the van who crossed his path afterwards.
He owns a filling station now and has had that robbed about 3 times.

I've had a friend's father have his tools nicked as well as his van whilst on a job. He was parked off the road, in the back garden (accessible by an alleyway). Tools were in the van. Keys were on the side in the kitchen of the client's house. Chap was upstairs doing some work. Client was an elderly lady at home.

Client comes up and says to him your mate's just come round to pick up the van. The thief had walked up, told the client he was taking the van to pick something up, took the keys and drove off.

Friend's father had a battle with the insurers.

Sponsored Links
Things often are covered even if not secured.
I had cheap contents insurance and forgot to bring my clothes in if the line. Went out at 11pm to find half missing.
Called the insurance and they said it's covered anywhere on your property inside or out, apart from of its inside a car!
So sounds bizarre that it can be beside the pavement and covered but inside a locked car round the back isn't.
Anyway insurance has the last laugh, by the time they took 50 quid excess and devaluation (on a new for old policy) plus I couldn't remember all the things that went, I got about 50 quid back on a 50 quid policy.
Sorry to hear about your situation, hope you get past the rage. Just think of all the money you saved doing the work yourself, financially you're still ahead even if some thief has also benefited.

I’m over the rage now. Water under the bridge.

Strange people nicking clothes off your washing line. Reminds me of the time my pretty neighbour knocked on my door accusing me of stealing her underwear off her washing line..... I almost sh1t her pants....

I’m over the rage now. Water under the bridge.

Strange people nicking clothes off your washing line. Reminds me of the time my pretty neighbour knocked on my door accusing me of stealing her underwear off her washing line..... I almost sh1t her pants....

Been 3 years since I had my van done and I still don't sleep right at night.

It's not the tools getting stolen that does it. It's the thought of your privacy being invaded and your security at night non existent. At what point do they think well, the tools aren't in the van, let's check the house...

At what point do they think well, the tools aren't in the van, let's check the house...
I've slept with a swan neck chisel beside the bed for years (ask a proper old-school joiner how big and ugly one of those is) on the basis that if anyone ever does break-in I'll either kill or maim them and bugger the consequences. My attitude stems from the twin facts that the police are both lazy and incompetent when it comes to tool thefts whilst the courts go far too soft on those who steal the livelihoods of others, potentially leaving them destitute. That's what having two workshop break-ins and a van stolen (plus loads of sundry one-off thieving) over the last 25 years have done for me.

I don't even like lending tools out. it's a bit like a stranger fondling your "essentials" to me. To paraphrase the film full metal jacket, this is my (insert tool) there are many like it, but this one is mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back