Bastards have nicked my tools

Tbh I didn't bother reporting it when it happened to me. The Mrs did, but only to get a crime number. The polis took a week to come, then didn't even want to see the footage. Didn't have time. So, the idea of them taking first dibs doesn't really seem so far fetched.

You're right to expect nothing to happen but you should still report it to be part of that statistic if nothing else. It's great when there's crime galore happening right under their noses and they can say 'theres been a drop this year aren't we great', because it's not getting reported.

Sponsored Links
My site manager had his tools stolen out of his van last night:

dewalt flip saw, fein multiool, makita 18v cordless set, angle grinder etc etc

This was from a Connect van that has a cage between front seats and rear and deadlocks to rear doors. However apparently it is now possible to buy electronic gizmos that can unlock Connect vans -there was no damage to the van at all.

I can't believe people are still keeping tools in there vans. I go to great lengths every night to remove all my hand and powertools and keep them inside the house, not in garage.

Vans are just cheap flimsy sheet metal that can be ripped open if need be.

Do not leave tools in your van over night!

Looked at my house insurance and there’s a £300 excess. Tools worth £600. My thoughts are I’d get £300 at best then my premiums would raise £50 for the next 6 years!

Didn’t report to the police as I don’t need a crime number if I’m not claiming. In addition I figure by reporting the crime, insurers will use this to formulate their risk of theft in an area thus increasing my premium.... twisted logic.

Got a nice new Makita 481 drill today so a little happier. Go through phases of kicking myself leaving my gear accessible. Fitting front door to extension tomorrow so will have a secure site.

Still no sign on the internet sites. My heart races when I see something similar.
Still hope they’ll show. Selling tools down the pub is so last century.

Will check out the police tool repatriation thingy.

Sponsored Links
Looked at my house insurance and there’s a £300 excess. Tools worth £600. My thoughts are I’d get £300 at best then my premiums would raise £50 for the next 6 years!

Didn’t report to the police as I don’t need a crime number if I’m not claiming. In addition I figure by reporting the crime, insurers will use this to formulate their risk of theft in an area thus increasing my premium.... twisted logic.

Got a nice new Makita 481 drill today so a little happier. Go through phases of kicking myself leaving my gear accessible. Fitting front door to extension tomorrow so will have a secure site.

Still no sign on the internet sites. My heart races when I see something similar.

Will check out the police tool repatriation thingy.

You'll find they won't cover you anyway.

I had business cover up to the eye balls and they wouldn't pay out because when they got in my van using a tibbe key pick, in their eyes it's not classed as a break in, as no damage was done.

Your best insurance I've learned is take them home and keep them safe in the house. If they break into your house to take them you're better covered.

£600 worth and £300 excess isn't worth trying to claim.

So is flogging stuff on flea markets and putting stuff through auctions, but they do that as well, often not on their home patch A few years back when I had my workshop robbed some of the stuff turned up 60 miles and 2 counties away in the warehouse of someone who did car boot sales. He was a big-time fence. Fortunately for me some of the stuff they nicked was antique and rare, so I rang around the antique tool dealers I knew and asked about a bit. About 6 weeks after the robbery I had a phone call from one of the dealers who told me that one of his "tatters" (the guys at the bottom end of the chain) had seen a couple of items at an agricultural auction in the next county - and gave me the name of the vendor, a well-known second-hand dealer. It took the police a while to get round to visiting him but when they did his place was stuffed full of moody stuff with nary a receipt in sight. I got back about 1/3 of my gear - presumably the rest had been sold. So if the guys who robbed your stuff do it for a living it may well not even be in your manor any longer. Sorry to depress you, but that was 25 years ago and I don't think some of these bar stewards will have gotten any less cute in the meantime

Respectfully when they're not left secured why should they pay up?
Half the reason I’m kicking myself. I just got complacent. Still the w4nker had to come up my drive, move the shuttering and set of metal shelves blocking the doorway, search around, decide what to take and then do one.

There are scum on the streets early hours looking for opportunities who mostly wouldn't dare come into your home (I know some would yes). I had my garage done and its a horrible feeling but remember they are the loosers with no job and a crippling drug addiction.

. In addition I figure by reporting the crime, insurers will use this to formulate their risk of theft in an area thus increasing my premium.... twisted logic

I think the likes of rightmove also show crime stats so bizarrely you might also devalue your horse by 0.1% by reporting it. Another few hundred quid to think about...

I just got complacent

Don't be too hard on yourself. I regularly do the same and it's just what you do when you're trying to do a full time job then come home and squeeze every drop of time out of the evening before then doing all the other things your need to do in normal life anyway.

I've taken a lot of weather damage to tools in the same way, on the basis that doesn't tend to rain in summer, but sometimes did. It may not fill me with pride but it pays for itself if it's saved me 40 hours over the year...

so much going on. Round my way people reporting builders having their trailers stolen, vans broken into, while on a job etc. My neighbour is developing their house, not living there. I can see through the window a huge strong box of some sort - might be one of these. I guess once it's full, it's going to be very hard to move!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back