Bath panel LED's

S

stedon1

I am having a bath panel installed which has built in LED's and is supplied complete with low voltage transformer 12v. Is it acceptable to install an adaptable box (IP56) with stuffing glands under the bath behind the panel to connect the 230v mains cable to the transformer. I think the regs state IPx4. Many thanks. The lights will be switched via an RCD FCU in the hot press.

Sponsored Links
Under the bath is outside zones. So no restrictions.
Make sure the bath panel is removeable though!

This work is notifiable in much of the UK. I'm not sure about N. Ireland though..

Under the bath is outside zones. So no restrictions*

*assuming the panel requires tools to remove. If it doesn't, it is to be treated as zone 1. Although 230v wouldn't normally be permitted in this zone, there are exceptions for under the bath to allow just this sort of thing.

*assuming the panel requires tools to remove. If it doesn't, it is to be treated as zone 1. Although 230v wouldn't normally be permitted in this zone, there are exceptions for under the bath to allow just this sort of thing.
It will be treated as zone 1. Therefore 230v is acceptable? An IP56 rated enclosure is acceptable? I'm quite sure i read it has to be IPx4. Could be wrong.

Sponsored Links

It will be treated as zone 1. Therefore 230v is acceptable? An IP56 rated enclosure is acceptable? I'm quite sure i read it has to be IPx4. Could be wrong.

IP56 offers a greater degree of protection than IPX4, so that's not a problem. More information on bathroom zones here.

EDIT: Just a thought. As these lights are probably ELV, why not install the transformer outside the zones?

Must be a N Ireland thing. A hot press is the cupboard the hot water cylinder is located in. Some people here call a cupboard a press, dont know why. I'll let you work the hot bit out yourself. Good idea Electronicsuk I'll situate the transformer in the "hot press" and just have the low voltage cables running under the bath. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back