Bathroom Fan Isolator inside a Fixed Bathroom Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Diynot-ers

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Would really appreciate your thoughts on the following.

I am installing an 240v ip45 fan extractor in zone 2 of my bathroom. (suitable for purpose)

My question is regarding the isolator switch. Normally of course I would install this outside the bathroom, however, given the interesting arrangement of electrical install in my bathroom the switched and permanent live for my lights are all accessible in a junction box sealed behind the fitted vanity sink unit.

With a bit of jiggery pokery it is possible for me to gain access to this and potentially to fit a double pole switch inside this cupboard, potentially negating the need for me to rip up my bathroom to stick the isolator outside the bathroom.

My question is this. Strictly speaking of course - inside the cupboard is outside all zones of the bathroom so therefore I should be able to put my isolator there - I think! and I can't find anything to specifically say no I can't do that in the 17th - except for the lovely vague 'external influences'.

So what do you guys reckon? Can I, or can't I? and as an added precaution has anyone come across a IP rated double pole isolator I could use?

Thanks very much for your thoughts guys!

Sponsored Links
You mentioned switched and permanent live - is a DP isolator enough?

Inside the cupboard will be fine for a normal switch, but if you really want an IP rated one look at MK Masterseal.

Hey there Mr Sheds,

Thanks for the reply! I believe a DP isolator is suitable for purpose. The fan has an overrun so I need to make sure I can isolate both lives - I'm pretty sure a DP isolator is the way to go with that...

So you reckon that sticking a standard switch in the cupboard won't violate anything in the 17th? I can't see why it would, but you never know?...

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul,

I'm sorry - a fan isolator is indeed what I mean when I say DP isolator, so yes, absolutely neutral too!

What do you reckon to putting it in the cupboard?

Hello again Folks,

Seeing as you were very helpful last time I thought i'd ask another question.

'Someone' has advised me that I need to protect the fan with a FSU.

It's connected up in the standard way - onto my lighting circuit, on 1.5mm cable protected by a 6amp MCB (also RCD protected).

Why on earth would I need to give it an FSU as well?

I just sort of rubbed my chin and said 'riiiiiight' and thought i'd ask you lot for a second opinion....

:)

The manufacturers instructions usually require you to install an FCU as a covers all soloutuion incase the fan is fed from a socket circuit or whatever.

As long as you're supplying it from a lighting circuit and you have your 3 pole isolator installed, then you're good to go.

some manufacturers ask for 3amp fusing with extractor fans and when you have switched and permanent live it gets annoying.

I haven't read the whole thread but...

apparently it is acceptable to only fuse the permanent live as it is only this which actually feeds the motor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back