Bathroom fitter nightmare job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a fitter who belonged to Guild of Master Craftsmen (or master cowboys as some of the safe trader register lads refer to them), start our quoted full bathroom refurb 2/2/15. Had to endure late shows, no shows, "forgetting" of tools, using my gear, cutting stuff upstairs without laying dustsheets and making a right mess, telling assorted lies, damaging the materials etc.

When his supposed last day was weds 6/3/15 he still had a toilet flush, shelf and snag list to do but had not brought his cutter for the hole for the flush so would be back again the friday. As he had made such a song and dance about leaving all his drills over the previous weekend so we knew he would return and had cleared everything but still reckoned he would come back the friday, alarm bells rang.
I sent him a polite email asking what time to expect him as I had an appointment at 1pm and couldnt afford to wait around til he decided to arrive so could he be there by 10am.
What came back was from his wife and company secretary, demanding we pay 8 of the remaining 10% withheld until completion or they would not be returning to complete the job. Just to show you the stupidity, the outstanding amount was £217.50 and their figure was a magical £200.10, not the £174 my calculator said.
I contacted a litigation solicitor, consumer advice who eventually referred me to trading standards and also the conciliation service with the guild of mc, providing photos of shoddy work, damage etc and email conversations of various tales and lies (like we have a 15 year guarantee backed by the guild but they know of no such thing) and texts.
The guild have now come back 2 weeks later and stunned my wife and I, basically not taking a single complaint point of ours into account and letting the fitter(actually his wife) write 4 pages of one or two truths, many half truths and as many outright lies, suddenly claiming for £140 worth materials they reckon we weren't charged for despite showing us no evidence and the guild inflating their demands up from £200 to £805!
Trading standards are no use now, basically saying to make an offer around the original £200 fee and pay them off to get rid of them. I am amazed that this lying two faced hand to mouth "tradesman" can get away with this and even more so the Guild, who I since find out are nothing more of a sales company and no real organisation at all, certainly not on quality.
As my mrs is pregnant I am reluctantly going to give in and pay this pr**k £204 to get lost rather than stress her out at such an important stage of pregnancy. But to say it leaves a sour taste is an understatement.
Oh and one of the best tales in his 4 page letter concerned the bodged drill holes in the tiles from fitting the curtain rail wrong first time round. It said "We did not install the rail so we cant be held accountable". Laughable response from a jack of all trades but master of none. If you live in the Bolton area, then message me for their name to avoid at all costs as I wont post it in case I break any rules but the jackass deserves naming and shaming!

Sponsored Links
They say a picture tells a thousand words - so care to post a few pics?

Hi JobandKnock, bear with me as a noob!
Just created a folder and uploaded 13 images. Still getting used to this site's workings but it is apparently available to be seen by registered members if that helps? Think I called the folder Bathroom bodge or something similar.

Sponsored Links
I can see why you are dissatisfied. "Could do better" is the kindest thing I'd say. The issue might well be one of whether or not it's worth going to court to recover damages. Probably not too much work to put the major part of it right (possibly a day's work), but not sure what you could do with "Wonky Donkey" without seeing it for myself.

Aye, the woman at trading standards reckons that by making them write a letter saying full and final payment, once we pay its a case of good riddance to bad rubbish. Shame being new to the Chorley area we didnt know about the Lancashire safe trader register until after we had made the complaint. If I had known beforehand and the reputation of the supposed Guild, I would have avoided him like the plague. Still, on the bright side, he has shot himself in the foot as he does all different trades, refurbs etc and we have a very large kitchen we were going to use him for in a year or so. Would have made the cost of the bathroom small change in comparison, but Im sure he has now realised that.

Doubt he'll care about losing future work from you. This type don't tend to think past what's for tea tomorrow.

I would ignore what the "guild" says. If he hasn't finished the job, I wouldn't pay him. Give him the opportunity to finish it, if not, tell him you'll get someone else in an send him the bill.

Believe me I would fight this joker all the way to court if it wasn't for the wife wanting peace and closure, even if it costs us. I am really annoyed that they have used prior jobs that we paid for to say they did those as extras when he was doing the bathroom. With 4 pages of utter horsesh*t in their letter it was getting to the stage of how on earth could a judge decide who was telling the truth. The trading standards woman reckoned it was written by someone who is clearly schooled in having problems and lying their ass off to get away with it by making the customer look unreasonable. Thinking we will have to accept the cosmetic "imperfections" and then maybe have a partial re-jig in 5-10 years time depending on the wear and use.

Ah, "The Guild" I came across it in the 70's :eek: A superb joiner I knew was a member so I made an assumption - but then looking into it - I made a realisation ;) AFAIK it's offices are in Sussex near to me . Have you seen the Judge Rinder prog. on ITV? I'd contact the show if I were you :idea:

if 10% outstanding was £217.50 that means the total cost of the bathroom refurb was £2175?

And he was there for over 4 weeks?

Have I got that right?

Did the £2175 include materials?

Labour only, but including tiling, plastering, electric and fixing the floor and a wall. Sorted an agreement for the clown to disappear but that "guild" made things worse. Ignored every complaint, including the photos and decided we owed them an extra 600 quid. Trading standards told me to hang on til after the election and submit a full written report to my local mp. Don't know what use it will do but guess it can't hurt. We are just pleased we don't have to deal with the little greedy, lying hand to mouth tradesman anymore. Not happy about it but didn't need the stress at this time.

The work is shoddy but price seems rather low for the scope of the job.

I'd have thought more like £3-5k+ for a bathroom with every surface done, WC drainage altered, window joinery etc (for a proper job that is, and including materials).

At £100 a day to cover all business overheads he certainly will be living hand-to-mouth!

Must have been a nightmare supplying all materials too, very unprofessional way to do it. Sure, let the client supply the suite if they want, but just a pita for all involved to have the client supply every screw, tube of sealant etc.

Also it leaves you carrying the can if the materials you supplied are sub-standard or defective (unless he specified the exact product to be purchased).

Suggest you chalk it down to experience and remember the mantra "buy cheap, buy twice" (and ignore the claims of 'trade associations')

Aye, exactly, down as a lesson learned not to trust what's promised unless it's all down in writing and that the so called guild are nothing more than a sales company, not a professional body. Oh and to get a tradesman to supply as well as fit. All work from now on I'm getting guys off the Lancashire safe trader register. Anyone reading this, I suggest you abandon my builder etc and do the same.

Sponsored Links
Back