Bathroom light, is this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took the cover off a bathroom light last night to replace a dim bulb. Bulb replacement fixed the issue, but couldn’t help noticing the wiring.

There seems to be 4 t&e’s coming to the light fitting, which makes it look very cramped in there.

CF8D8D63-5452-4D61-9D3B-3132A128D2F3.jpeg FA7CE98C-B8DE-4E89-B383-C8FFF7D32C45.jpeg

I assume the 4 cables are 2 for the loop, 1 for the switch and there is a 3 core & earth for the extractor fan.

Would it not have been better to use a junction box above the ceiling, and feed only one t&e down into the fitting?

Sponsored Links
I would say there is evidence of heat damage here.

Heat proof sleeving would help, but the 'fixed' wiring is still at risk.

For that reason I would reluctantly disagree with EFLI in this case and recommend a junction box above with a short length of heat resistant cable going to the light.

I would say there is evidence of heat damage here.

Heat proof sleeving would help, but the 'fixed' wiring is still at risk.

For that reason I would reluctantly disagree with EFLI in this case and recommend a junction box above with a short length of heat resistant cable going to the light.

What about the photo indicates heat damage please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would quess the discolouration of the red cables, probably from the heat of the lamp

Could be an optical illusion, but the wires look a dull colour.

And they are very near the lamp.

Some fittings are supplied with heat proof sleeving, though never enough for the amount of wires you have there.

Does the wiring feel stiff, yet brittle? A sort of 'toasted' effect?

Be careful, if it has been heat damaged the insulation will break, and you won't want that.

That's a better view.

I thought the grey wire was a tired old black wire.

They do look ok.

Though 2D light fittings do get hot and can damage nearby wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back