Bathroom Lighting .. Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anbody direct me to a thread or site " dont want to waste professional help on a should be simple task "which might show the following :
I am installing 2 halogen 12v lights in the upstairs bathroom IP64 with a transformer no earth and a separate inline fan located in the loft 240V which i would like to operate separately using a DP pull cord located in the bathroom .. the lights are turned on and off using a one way switch in the bedroom .. Adam was so kind to reply and tell me i might have a few problems because i have tried to wire the whole thing up but running it all on a normal 3amp plug to test it worked fine ... BUT when i connected it to my consumer unit the rcd would always reset .... " would be great to have some sort of basic wiring Diagram so i can follow it and see where i possile went wrong ...
:( > :D

Sponsored Links
Richi996 said:
when i connected it to my consumer unit the rcd would always reset .... " would be great to have some sort of basic wiring Diagram so i can follow it and see where i possile went wrong ...

I assume you mean the rcd would always trip, if you have a whole house RCD indicating a TT installation, then I would recommend that you install a split consumer unit, RCD protection is not advisable for lighting circuits, for safety reasons. Your fan requires an isolator, check the references at the start of this forum for help.
This work is notifiable to Part P of the building regulations, are you competent to do this work?
Jaymack

Say NO to repetitive boring signatures

Hi Jaymack ..... Sorry got me RCD with MCB mixed up ..... The Consumer box has been replaced by a Regulated Sparkie who then just left the tail which brings the power up to my bathroom in the box ... they are so busy and we are expecting our first nipper i just wanted to get this done . So it is the MCB that trips ... I do know that an isolator is required out side the door but can you not use the DP ceiling pull switch .? that will isolate the fan too .........

Thanks for any reply

Sponsored Links
Richi996 said:
... I do know that an isolator is required out side the door but can you not use the DP ceiling pull switch .? that will isolate the fan too .........

Not gonna be much good when your fixing your fan one day, and your little nipper pulls the DP pull switch, whilst your fingers are on a live bit, you'll be thinking I wish I installed an inline isolator above the door out of reach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back