Bathroom pull cord change to switch

Sponsored Links
Though in various cases it's allowed, I think a wall switch in a bathroom looks naff - just my gut reaction.

Hooked up the PIR where the pull cord was, applied power, and the extractor fan works, but the bathroom light flickers.

I can hear the PIR click if I move my hand in front of it, but the light is no good.

It is a CFL lamp, so that may be an issue? The other problem might be the live and neutral aren't really live and neutral, but live and switched live. Although would that cause flickering?

Sponsored Links
Hooked up the PIR where the pull cord was, applied power, and the extractor fan works, but the bathroom light flickers.

I can hear the PIR click if I move my hand in front of it, but the light is no good.

It is a CFL lamp, so that may be an issue? The other problem might be the live and neutral aren't really live and neutral, but live and switched live. Although would that cause flickering?
Yes.

Yes to the last sentence?

I think maybe I can replace the twin core+earth that went to the pull cord, with a 3 core+earth from the light fitting. Perhaps it would work then, as the PIR I guess need a live and neutral to power it?

All working now.

Just re-ran a 3 core+pe instead of the twin core+pe, so the PIR had a neutral, as well as live and live switched.

Just got to **** around with the light/time settings now...

Ah, the good old days. You'll have got the idea from here, then?
Slide1.jpg

I agree with Winnie, wall switches in bathrooms are still a terrible idea, allowed or not.

Can count on one hand how many modern bathrooms had had a switch on the wall inside.

Few people do it, I suppose they don't know the rules, or do what they have always done, or just want to play safe.

Sufficient distance = 600mm?
Is that what the current regs. say?
Well 600mm takes you outside of the zones, and the smallest door you can get is more than 600mm, so unless you have a bathroom where you trip over the bath as you walk in, I can't imagine it being an issue. Not saying I would choose to put a switch in a bathroom, but them's the rules

So something else which appears to have been significantly relaxed from the old requirement to have the switch out of reach of anyone in the bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back