Bathroom Refit

The en-suite soil pipe is pretty much horizontal....

Sometimes when you flush it, there is a glugging and the pan empties, only to slowly refill again afterwards. Weird!

Sponsored Links
The en-suite soil pipe is pretty much horizontal....

That's bad; there should be a fall of about one in forty. When you flush you send a wave into the pipe. With a long horizontal run, the slightest disturbance to the flow will reflect some of it back --

-- there is a glugging and the pan empties, only to slowly refill again --

-- just like that! :!: :!: :!:

Sigh....So looks like the whole lot needs redoing then....£££££££££££££££££

:D

Good job the house was cheap, but we're paying for it now!

Sponsored Links
PipeJoint.jpg

Rang the company selling the universal adaptor talked about earlier:
universal-adaptor-joins-pvc-pipe-to-cast-iron-or-clay_cms_site_products_images_691-1-2977_235_175_True.jpg
that would fit into this cast joint and convert to PVC 110mm pipe.

He said the diameter of the other end of the adaptor is 95mm. Will it fit into the cast pipe in the above picture, given that the small pipe going into it is 1.25"?

Will it fit into the cast pipe --

Only if you remove all that grey crud from the socket! It's not obvious what that stuff is from a photo: rag and putty if you're lucky, cement if you aren't. Either way, it's got to come out. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

What I'm saying is that you're confident I have not got an obscure type of cast pipe which has an unsually small diameter bore...

That, assuming the pipe is cleared of crud, the adaptor will fit tightly.

He doesn't read my posts, which is a shame for him because I could tell him that it won't fit. :LOL: :LOL: :mrgreen:

There's no guarantees in life & there's no guarantee I'll read his posts. In fact, the only time I'll happen across them is when someone quotes him...

D'you know, it's a bit like being in a playground here. There's someone you don't see eye to eye with, so you try to avoid him. Then someone else comes along who you think is decent but he starts siding with the one you're trying to avoid. :rolleyes:

I don't want any guarantees. I'm just a spark who knows very little about plumbing trying to do a bit for himself and asking people who know more than him for advice: just like DIYnot is supposed to work.

Sooey, you've just given me a perfect example of why you're on my ignore list.

Well, whatever he's written he must care because he's bothered to reply. :LOL:

Listen, I'm done playing stupid games. Go back to the playground.

This has been a good post all round.
Can we try to get it back on topic please?
Even I'm learning from it.
Thanks guys.

-- I have not got an obscure type of cast pipe which has an unsually small diameter bore...

If you want to be as sure as sure can be, measure it. Dig away some of that grey stuff near the rim of the socket at two diametrically opposite points, taking care not to crack the pipe. This won't be easy if it's cement but your only alternative is to replace all the iron stuff.

In the long run, re-plumbing the whole lot in plastic might be the best option anyway. :idea: :idea: :idea: Your main concern appears to be sealing around the hole in the roof but plastic pipe comes with a neat solution:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/end-ventilation-collar-grey-sp300/17772

Make sure your roof covering extends up the sides of the pipe, apply a ring of solvent weld adhesive around the pipe above then push this down over the top. :) :) :) I would do a dry run before you put the adhesive on to make sure everything fits properly because you won't get a second go.

Sponsored Links
Back