Bathroom works and rising costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A builder gave my girlfriend a fixed price to do some work to her bathroom. Then once he took out the bath and sink, he changed the price. He initially told her the bathroom work would take 3 days, but it has now taken longer than that.

Seems he is just holding her to ransom in terms charging higher costs. Is he allowed to do this? If not, are there any DIY regulators and ethical firms we can report him to? i.e. if things get further out of hand. I’m sure she’s already close to the maximum budget for the work.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Did she change the spec or ask for additional works not on the quote?

So long as the fixed-price doesn't change, I'd let slight time overruns slide. If there was a gross underestiamtion of time and builder is now seeking to change to price to compensate for extra days required to finish the job, that's on the builder to suck up

Happens a lot with bathroom and kitchens. Did he price for a straight swap? A lot will depend on how he worded his quote.
He gave her one price initially, though never gave her anything in writing.. I later found out that he suggested doing extra bits at no additional cost, then all of a sudden he changed the price. We'll Go elsewhere.

Did she change the spec or ask for additional works not on the quote?

So long as the fixed-price doesn't change, I'd let slight time overruns slide. If there was a gross underestiamtion of time and builder is now seeking to change to price to compensate for extra days required to finish the job, that's on the builder to suck up
He gave her one price initially, though never gave her anything in writing.. I later found out that he suggested doing extra bits at no additional cost, then all of a sudden he changed the price. We'll go elsewhere.

When she asked for a copy in writing, the builder said he couldn’t find it.

Mmm, that sounds very unlikely. She should have insisted on it being in writing. As others have said - sack him. How much have you already paid him, how much has he done? Hopefully he has done more than you have paid for, in which case, as you have nothing in writing, he cannot have anything either, no contract with you, no claim against you, his word versus your own.

Happens a lot with bathroom and kitchens.
It does from my experience, but I would not say it happens a lot with "bathroom and kitchens" rather it happens a lot with "bathroom and kitchen fitters who are chancers not proper trades people".

The one's I've seen always seem to end up doing a crapper job for more money!

A quote is a fixed price and cannot be altered unless agreed by the customer.

An estimate is like a guess (well should be an educated guess at least), and may well end up costing more (or less if you are lucky) and so the price can vary - although changes in costs should be notified and agreed with the customer first.

None of this needs to be in writing for it to be binding, but it helps if it is.

Time is also part of the contract and the same applies as above in the same way as costs.

You can report the contractor to the council's consumer protection team (AKA Trading Standards), but it really depends on the extent of their unethical or unlawful practice as to whether the council take action under their powers.

Fundamentally, this is a contract law issue. The customer can refuse to pay, and demand works completed to the original agreement. How receptive the contractor is, or feasible that is when the bathroom is ripped out is another matter. Or the customer can end the contract, dismiss the contractor and get another - and sue the original for any losses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back