Baxi combi 80e not fitted properly 4 years ago-advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had British gas put our baxi boiler at risk as our boiler did not have the pressure relief pipe connected. Feel really guilty as this could put my family in risk of being burnt!! The flue is too far out the wall and the boiler should be moved!!. Can't believe this as a corgi registered plumber checked the boiler when we had it fitted and we have had it serviced by another corgi registered plumber and neither of them saw these problems. No not sure who to believe!! Can't go to original installer as can't remember who installed it only that it cost me £1200.00!!!

Any advice would be appreciated :(

Sponsored Links
Can't go to original installer as can't remember who installed it only that it cost me £1200.00!!!

now theres a bleeding first :eek:

how come you can never remember when you are in the brown, smelly, sticky stuff :rolleyes:

Dont panic!

The pressure relief valve lack of a pipe is as a result of a lazy and penny pinching installer but in London I would estimate 12% of installers dont bother either. It would only be a hazard if there were a fault condition AND anyone was close to the underneath of the boiler. But it should be corrected.

The flue problem may be pretty irrelevant as BG are sticklers for correctness. Or they want to find any reason under the sun not to cover older boilers under their instrance cover.

If it was installed today the installer would notify CORGI who would maintain the record for ever. Four years ago it was up to you to keep all your receipts yourself.

Nottmforestthruandthru said:
Can't believe this as a corgi registered plumber checked the boiler when we had it fitted :(

That comment implies that the installer was NOT registed with CORGI ! Thats probably illegal and may explain why you are now in this situation.

Tony

15 minute job to fit the blow off & another 1/2 hour to shorten the flue, what reason did BG give for needing the boiler moving, apart from it'll be a nice earner for them.

Sponsored Links
Can't believe this as a corgi registered plumber checked the boiler when we had it fitted
Was he really or just a friend.

No not sure who to believe!!
Believe BG Eng he/she is the one who classed your boiler as at risk

Can't go to original installer as can't remember who installed it

Then contact an other RGI ;)

Nottmforestthruandthru said:
Just had British gas put our baxi boiler at risk as our boiler did not have the pressure relief pipe connected.

it`s not a big job, normally a conex nut & a bit of pipe to outside, read your MIs you can do it yourself!

The flue is too far out the wall

It`s not against the law to leave the flue at it`s total length (unless it`s less than 2 metres from the floor).

and the boiler should be moved!!.

Why?

Thanks for your help.

Could find out who fit the boiler. Just need to search old records. Keep everything in the garage anyway!

The boiler needs to be moved as it is too close to the window and the quote I was given was £150 for 2 hours work by BG.

The only problem is the fitted kitchen around it!!!

I know that it would have been a corgi plumber as I wouldn't have had them fit the boiler if they weren't.

When I find out the Company who fitted the boiler, can I contact them or should I just get another plumber to do the repair?

Just a bit peeved at being ripped off.......

What I know about plumbing is not worth knowing.....

Had to have the boiler installed 'cause BG serviced our old boiler and condemned it. Disconnected it, stuck a sticker on it and walked out!

Well off to the garage I go................

Julie

Dont rush into anything Julie.

Measure from the edge of the outer part of the flue to the edge of the opening in the wall for the window in mm and tell us what it is !

If its less than 300 mm then its probably not in accordance with the regulations but it may be classifyable as NTC. It may not necessarily be dangerous.

However it is incorrect and the installer should not have done it. About 10% of the boilers I go to are not correctly sited. Often for reasons connected with the kitchen layout.

If it was done wrongly for no good reason then its up to the installer to put it right AT HIS OWN COST !!! You may need to complain to CORGI who will serve a Defects Notice on him requiring him to put it right.

If the flue has not been cut off and projects too far then that implies a lazy installer. Again CORGi can get him to correct it for you. Depending on manufacturer it may or may not be At Risk etc.

£150 for two hours work by BG sounds cheap! But I dont know how the boiler could be resited in two hours.

Tony

Maybe you can stop the window from opening, nail it shut? The dimensions given in the Regs state that a boiler flue should not be sited within 300mm from an openable window, not always (300mm) depends on boilers MIs, if your window won`t open, you are not contravening the Regs!

If it was done wrongly for no good reason then its up to the installer to put it right AT HIS OWN COST !!! You may need to complain to CORGI who will serve a Defects Notice on him requiring him to put it right.

If the flue has not been cut off and projects too far then that implies a lazy installer. Again CORGi can get him to correct it for you. Depending on manufacturer it may or may not be At Risk etc.

the dog won't do jack and you know it

they only chase the reg and this bloke wasn't

put your soapbox away glazier there's a funny smell all of a sudden

Bamber gaspipe said:
Maybe you can stop the window from opening, nail it shut? The dimensions given in the Regs state that a boiler flue should not be sited within 300mm from an openable window, not always (300mm) depends on boilers MIs, if your window won`t open, you are not contravening the Regs!

Thats what it used to say!

Either its changed or CORGI have decided to interpret it differently!

Their argumemt is that its a non opening window now but Anglian may replace the windows tomorrow with an opening one. The dimension therefore has to be from to brickwork opening!

And Kev, the only thing CORGi seem to do effectively is to chase registered people. It does rather seem that the installer was not registered in which case that "little ommission" is likely to cost Julie £150 ( and the rest ).

Tony

[quote="Agile
Thats what it used to say!

Either its changed or CORGI have decided to interpret it differently!

Corgi can interpret it any way they like. MIs take precedent & if they say
openable window that will do for me.

Their argument is that its a non opening window now but Anglian may replace the windows tomorrow with an opening one.

I would argue back that a window firm doing this would be negligent, just the same as when they remove old doors with vents and do not provide sufficient ventilation on the replacement.

Wrong regards 300mm to where a opening window May be put in future as baxi and a few others now put 300mm to opening window or 150mm to opening in fabric of building . So as Slug says that would be down to window firm

I would imagine the 2 hours labour is repositioning flue to meet standards not the entire boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back