Baxi Main Eco Compact 30kw

Haven't had a bad experience as I wouldn't ever fit one. Not the same boiler any more either - the Main Eco is the same as the old 830, not the new one. Crap modulation - Main's minimum is 6.9kW, the 830 mk 2 is 6kW, both therefore likely to be massively oversized at minimum output for @chilli_Flake 's 7 radiator system in all but the very coldest outside temperatures. Almost no installer parameters available to set it up to the system it's fitted to - can't even range rate them. Vokera Vibe Max is far superior for very similar money to the Main.
Excellent never fitted one but says they are crap and if you actually read the thread its been pointed out that its the old 630 not the new mark 2 .
As for oversized in your opinion hence why you use the word "likely" and in the real world does it make any real difference no.
First time i have ever heard the word superior and vokera used in same sentence but each to their own

Sponsored Links
I’m just going to grab a hot water bottle - sod the wife she can work out the modulation ratio that should keep her warm….

Thanks for the your responses, honestly much appreciated…

But the modulation ratio matter has really thrown a spanner in the works, I guess it makes sense in terms of efficiency - very smart I must say, never quite thought that way in terms of min/max kw use - especially with energy prices at crazy sums….sure enough makes a difference.

But I think I’ll stick to the Main Eco Compact or Baxi 830 recommendation with 10yr no hassle warranty and proven customer service with the budget I have…

I guess you learn something new every day and a constructive debate is always very healthy…..

The penny is dropping - So what you suggesting a lower kw boiler?
I'm suggesting a boiler which has a lower minimum output to improve efficiency. Combi boilers are sized for hot water performance, so a 30kW combi will give you about 12.5 litres per minute of usable hot water.

The issue is that 30kW is way in excess of what you need for space heating (which accounts for around 85% of your total gas bill). All boilers can vary their power output to a greater or lesser extent, and this is known as modulation. A greater modulation range, IE a greater difference between maximum and minimum outputs, translates to greater real world efficiency. The minimum output is often what's important when choosing a combi boiler as they are often fitted in smaller homes which don't require a lot of heating power.

The Main 30kW will go down to 6.9kW at minimum output. The second generation Baxi 830 will go down to 6.0kW. The Vokera Vibe Max 30kW (similar price to the Main, hence mentioning it here) will go all the way down to 3.8kW.

Heat loss, IE the amount of heating power your home needs, varies throughout the year as it is a function of the difference between outdoor temperature and desired indoor temperature. Calculations are typically carried out at an assumed external temperature of -3°C and internal temperature of 21°C, a 24°C difference.

A home which needs 8kW at -3°C outdoor temperature will only need 4kW at 9°C outdoor temperature (12°C difference between target indoor and actual outdoor temperatures). If your chosen boiler isn't capable of modulating down sufficiently for the heating requirements of your home, it will cycle on and off, which uses more gas and increases wear & tear. Long low burns are more fuel efficient than turning on and off. Thus it is important to ensure the boiler you choose is matched to the heating power requirements of your home as well as the hot water requirements.

Sponsored Links
Wow - ok well that sure makes perfect sense!!

I think my wife has fallen in love with you….

Dare I ask ‍♂️ - recommend us a model or two - say mid range ish…..

I shall investigate - why not / its a 10 yr investment

Vokera have 4 combi boilers - Vibe Max C is the one you referring to muggles?

Vokera Max Vibe
30kw @ £650
26kw @ £609
ToolStn
Bloody hell - stinking cheap

Now I’m really confused!

It’s nearly twelve thirty and I’m reading about boilers - what you done to me muggles?

Right, Vision plus C or Vibe max C and which Kw please?

Can’t believe I’m doing this….

(Baxi’s after care warranty / call out is 5 star compared to Vokera according to trust pilot reviews - I’ve read about 100)…

Last edited:
Vibe Max 30C is the one to look at from Vokera, the Vision Plus is a slightly older model and uses an aluminium heat exchanger whereas the VM is stainless steel, and has the better modulation. Unbeatable in this price bracket IMHO. Get a decent OpenTherm control with it such as EPH CP4i for best performance. @vulcancontinental will be able to confirm but I believe extended warranties are now available.

I believe it's only until the end of the month but the Vibe Max is normally 5 years however it's extended to 6 years if a plug-in Wi-Fi key is purchased and registered at the same time, I think about £100.

Anything else, just ask.

Sorry but this whole heat loss calculation hoo haa is nothing but another farce in the modern day era.

I had one clown come out, do a heat loss calculation and did not give a monkeys about what's above the rooms (type of insulation, flat roof etc) or cavity or solid brick etc etc and all he was doing was measuring length and width of room (not even measuring the height and some rooms have different heights).

And he said "I have to do a beat loss calculation before I can size up what radiators you need".

A proper heat loss calculation would also include -3 outside but what does the wind chill factor make that -3 feel like? -6?? Is the house on a hill? Houses higher up will get more cold weather etc. If you're in north or Scotland you'll get more colder weather than in London for example.

And this guy was a gas engineer. I am not even going to start on the lack of fault finding gas guys are able to do and let alone their lack of electrical knowledge to wire programmers etc and now heat loss calculations.

If you're sizing up a boiler, you also need to be able to work out the total output of your radiators. If you got 7 large rads that are pushing out 10,000 btu then a 8kw (27,000btu) boiler is not good enough particularly if its a combi and it's -3 and you're pushing max heat and wanting a bath at the same time.

They talk about efficiency this and efficency that, but in reality with the constant price hike of energy bills, cost of boiler repairs = inefficiency and ££££

At least the old glow worms of the 80s heated up homes properly, and didn't break down.

Do lower output boilers have smaller pumps? Worth researching as then the distribution would be poor.

Just looking for a rope in the shed and then off to find a tall tree….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back