Bedroom light circuit switching design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see photo below of my bedroom lighting circuit.

Is it possible for me to have a single gang switch next to my bed which can act as a slave switch and control only the spot lights whilst next the door is a 3 gang Master switch (either dimmer or non dimmer) which can control the spot lights (first gang), centre pendant light (second gang) and the ensuite bathroom (third gang).

Is anything wrong with this design? I only ask because I was going to use some LightwaveRF dimmer switches with only the bed switch as the dimmer switch acting as a slave and the 3 gang switch just regular switches.

I take it also that it is possible to have a master and slave setup such that the number of gangs on each can be different?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but if you only use a dimmer at the bed-side - it won't be a slave -
then the door switch will only switch it on at whatever dimness the bed switch is left.

Would you not want the same arrangement for the spot?
I can imagine some absent-mindedness causing you to have to get up again.

Yes, but if you only use a dimmer at the bed-side - it won't be a slave -
then the door switch will only switch it on at whatever dimness the bed switch is left.

Would you not want the same arrangement for the spot?
I can imagine some absent-mindedness causing you to have to get up again.

Thanks for the reply. Did you mean "did I not want the same arrangement for the pendant light (not spots) so that I can switch off the pendant light from the bed side? If so, then yes I did, but we forgot to wire it during the wiring! I have several other bed side light swiches either side so it got a bit crazy, but ideally one should have been put for the pendant....not too fussed though as it's LightwaveRF switches so I can remote control them from my phone etc.

I'm fine with the idea that the spot light switch in the 3 gang switch wont be able to dim. I just wanted to check that the light will still work from the bed side and that it will dim. Are you saying then that I should not buy a slave 2 way single gang dimmer but a 1-way master dimmer for the bed side?

As a side question - if I didnt have a 3 gang switch at the door, would I just have 3 x individual gangs in isolation? How would the spot light switches be setup then - still need a master/slave but both be dimmers?

Did you mean "did I not want the same arrangement for the pendant light (not spots) so that I can switch off the pendant light from the bed side?
Yes, sorry - the pendant.

I'm fine with the idea that the spot light switch in the 3 gang switch wont be able to dim.
It's not that you can't dim it from the door, more that you won't be able to brighten it when turned off while dim.
Not a huge problem but it may be irritating.

I just wanted to check that the light will still work from the bed side and that it will dim. Are you saying then that I should not buy a slave 2 way single gang dimmer but a 1-way master dimmer for the bed side?
If there's only one dimmer then it will be a master, although today some masters and slaves are the same.

As a side question - if I didnt have a 3 gang switch at the door, would I just have 3 x individual gangs in isolation?
You can get switches which have dummy dimmers (which just turn off and on) but look the same.

How would the spot light switches be setup then - still need a master/slave but both be dimmers?
Not sure what you mean.
You can have two dimmers or one dimmer and one switch.

Sponsored Links
I'm fine with the idea that the spot light switch in the 3 gang switch wont be able to dim.

It's not that you can't dim it from the door, more that you won't be able to brighten it when turned off while dim. Not a huge problem but it may be irritating.

I think I understand. So what you are saying is that when the dimmer switch has been dimmed and switched off, the "ordinary 3 gang switch" will simply on/off at the same level of brightness at which it was dimmed by the other dimmable switch, correct? If so, then not a big problem for me but I can see how it will be irritating. And for this purpose, the single gang dimmable switch should be a master as well as the non LightwaveRF switch being a 3 gang master switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back