Bernard Manning as (posthumous) Prime Minister?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why not? For a man to have risen from the fairly humble ranks of a private, to the stages which he commanded, must mean that he had the capability which, I am sure, is coupled with that all important compassion for those, whose voices, not many years ago, would not have been heard because of the iniquitous "class" system. The rights and privileges which we enjoy today, only came about because people of his type wanted to improve the lot of their fellow men. High office used to be the prerogative of the old Etonian, or those with the money to buy power and position but, in my opinion, a man, or woman, schooled in the world of hard knocks and hard work, has the same, if not more, right to be considered for those high offices, and which require much more humility and humanity than the humbug which usually accompanies them.

Sponsored Links
I agree with you 100% Softus.
Oh sorry - upon re-reading my post I realised that I must have caught the wrong key a few times. How clumsy of me. I meant to write:

Bernard Manning's class of humour required little more skill than turd grading, and had far less value.

I'm pleased that he's no longer able to continue sowing the seeds of meanness and watering the tender shoots of hate.

I'm pleased that he can no longer peddle his vile stage act and tell his hideous jokes, which, BTW, included poking fun at the dead.

Sponsored Links
Aha. Someone realizes that my eloquent words and well thought out comments are worth repeating. Perhaps "I wish I had said that" has crossed an obviously troubled mind. Well now you have and, in your actions, you have given my words the positive endorsement which they deserve.

I see that you're a proponent of irony too.

Either that or you wouldn't recognise it if you were trapped underneath a pile of it.

And Benny Hill for chancellor, another funny fooker who was slaughtered by the pc dictators. :p :p

Don't worry mega, I saw it and thought it a hoot!

To all: Out of the following 5 men, who would honestly get your vote for PM?

1: Gordon Brown
2: Tony Blair
3: John Major
4: Margaret Thatcher
5: Bernard Manning

Bernard would certainly get my vote, despite his jokes. ( I would draw the line at Jim Davidson though!)

Margaret Thatcher, because she's the only woman in that list.

I have been trying to think of a positive response to the comments of Softus re Bernard Manning, by quoting extracts from various obituaries written by Asians and Jews and other minority groups.
It then struck me that Softus probably only saw BM on the box and was highly influenced by the Guardians chattering class writers and therefore would be unlikely to accept that he may be wrong in his viewpoint.
I therefore chose not to bother other than to say that I suspect, deep down, he Softus, is envious that someone from such a humble background as BM, could make such an impact on society when he, with his intellect and education is reduced to trying to making his name on a relatively small forum such as this.
What is it that they say about being a big fish in a small pond!
Envy is a powerful sin.

I have been trying to think of a positive response to the comments of Softus re Bernard Manning, by quoting extracts from various obituaries written by Asians and Jews and other minority groups.
Don't you really mean that you've just been trying to find a way to disagree with me...

It then struck me that Softus probably only saw BM on the box
... and are so intent on doing so that you're speculating wildly?

...and was highly influenced by the Guardians chattering class writers and therefore would be unlikely to accept that he may be wrong in his viewpoint.
So, are you suggesting that the following viewpoints were wrong:

There are no circumstances under which I ever would have sentenced Bernard Manning to death, and I never wished him dead when he was alive, but I would have been pleased if he'd changed his ways. The fact that he wasn't prepared to do so means that I'm pleased that he's no longer able to continue sowing the seeds of meanness and watering the tender shoots of hate.
Everybody dies, and my glee at his death is a form of relief that he can no longer poison the universe with the stuff coming out of his mind. I'm sure that there are forum members who would feel the same about me, and I have no problem with that.

BTW, I'm equally pleased that Adolf Hitler is dead, for exactly the same reason.
...before he died, was unpleasant to anyone and everyone in the pursuit of getting a laugh out of someone.

If you saw his interview by Mrs Merton, and believe it to be honest (i.e. not distorted by editing), then he was capable of unadulterated and humourless unpleasantness at those times when his justification for his 'humour' was challenged in a reasonable way.

None of this means that he wasn't loved by his family, and maybe others, and that he wasn't capable of being pleasant in private.

It just means that in public he was a git, and that now he's a dead git.
...I watched him on TV, in "The Comedians" (sic.), in the seventies, which was exactly half-way through his career.
I also saw him perform on stage in Manchester in the early eighties, and, since you claim that this experience pre-approves me to speak knowledgably about BM, I assure that you he was an ar*ehole.
Those are all extracts from a topic on which you posted, but you appear to have conveniently 'forgotten' those parts that suit your prejudiced trolling activities.

:rolleyes:

Envy is a powerful sin.
Not as powerful as being a fool.

Anobium wrote:
When he (Softus), with his intellect and education ...
Errrmmmm ... WHAT intellect and education would that be then?

Bernard Manning made his living making squillions of people laugh at a time when nothing was sacred to humour.

I saw him many times live and loved his act and I am not racist, homophobic, sexist or any other kind of 'ist ... Nor were the many people who attended his performances from ALL of the minority sections of our community.

The one thing we all shared was ... A SENSE OF HUMOUR :rolleyes:

Something we ain't permitted to have nowadays.

MW

The phrase 'political correctness' used to be known as 'spastic gay-talk' but apparently you can't call it that anymore...

Sponsored Links
Back