Bespoke light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a new fitted bedroom wardrobe I have just 58mm between the front face of the wardobe and the door frame, which isn't enough for the standard light switch that used to be by the door (the narrowest I've found is 75mm). There's no obvious place to relocate it to.

An architrave switch would fit of course, but not only is the space in the pattress box very small, but I did also have a 2 gang 2 way dimmer here (200W & 150W branches) and i would like to keep 2 gang and preferrably dimmer as the lights for the wardrobe area are separate from the bed area.

It's a studwork wall. Can I legally make a bespoke pattress box and modify a standard 2 gang dimmer switch to fit by trimming the sides off and making alternatives fixings for the switch plate?

The only option to keep a standard switch is to move the switch onto a 15cm wide strip of trim at the the end of the new wardrobe. The rear of this would be in the wardrobe, so would at least require careful sealing if this is allowed? Of course this trim is flamable (chipboard) and the dimmer switches do get quite hot.

Sponsored Links
An architrave switch would fit of course, but not only is the space in the pattress box very small, but I did also have a 2 gang 2 way dimmer here (200W & 150W branches) and i would like to keep 2 gang and preferrably dimmer as the lights for the wardrobe area are separate from the bed area.
What about a remote-controlled dimmer switch on the ceiling?

It's a studwork wall. Can I legally make a bespoke pattress box and modify a standard 2 gang dimmer switch to fit by trimming the sides off and making alternatives fixings for the switch plate?
Why do you want pattresses? Surely flush boxes would look much nicer?

Anyway, you can get architrave dimmer switches - don't know if you can get 2-gang ones, but if not just mount one above the other.

If you want to go down the adaption route then see if you can get a 2-gang blanking plate, and drill 2 holes in it. I really don't think you'd be able to trim the sides off a standard switchplate and have it look anything other than total pants.

The only option to keep a standard switch is to move the switch onto a 15cm wide strip of trim at the the end of the new wardrobe. The rear of this would be in the wardrobe, so would at least require careful sealing if this is allowed? Of course this trim is flamable (chipboard) and the dimmer switches do get quite hot.
Shouldn't get hot enough to ignite anything.

No reason not to put it on the wardrobe - just box it in at the rear.

What about a remote-controlled dimmer switch on the ceiling?

Thanks. Not heard of this before so hadn't considered it. Just Googled and found a Rako unit, but not much information.

I didn't mention one of the light groups is 3-way - if it is still an option can you suggest a retailer?

Sponsored Links
varilight do an excellent range of remote dimmers.

But if your circuits are two or three-way control, you'll need to use master and slave touch switches too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back