Best budget (ish) circular saw at the moment ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a circular saw with fine enough teeth to cut up some MDF and other lumber fairly neatly and wondered if anyone has come across a half way decent one.

This job and then occasional use only.

Sponsored Links
Which ever saw you buy will probably have pretty course teeth, you will also have to buy a new finer tooth blade.

choose your saw then choose your blade
most[all] saws will have a general blade then you need to choose the right blade
where in surrey are you based ??

most[all] saws will have a general blade then you need to choose the right blade

C'mon BA, there must be a ryobi that fits the bill!!

Sponsored Links

C'mon BA, there must be a ryobi that fits the bill!!

lmao thanks for a good laugh :D :D
many a suggestion brewing :cool: ;)

isnt that ironic i put suggestion with one "g" as in sugestion and the spell checker said "no suggestion "lol :D :D

I guessed it might be that case but you never know if the DIY shops have put together a decent blade set for Xmas.

I'm near Farnham in Surrey.

i have the ryobi 18v the dewalt 18v plunge dw62 mains and a bosch 24v
all out side your price range but your welcome to come to redhill and play to see if you like them to give you a better idea what to buy :D

That's incredibly kind of you. Thanks.

not kind at all its looking after people and enjoying helping
as is everyone giving there time on help forums :D like here

life should be about sharing and helping if you have something to give not "whats in it for me "lol

never used any evolution tools people do rave about them but the thing that puts me off is the ability to cut metal this makes me think its a compromise with the blade and possibly blade speed
but as i have said have never used one so could be completely wrong
although the fact not many if any of the major manufacturers have metal/ wood machines must say something

That saw is in the latest CPC.co.uk catalogue £39.98 +vat no idea about quality though.

I have an Evolution Fury that I bought for almost identical objectives to you Talay. I got mine for a low price - something like the CPC offer (it was a one-off at B&Q at the time - damaged box or something). I am not an expert but it looked like this to me: You can get saws with bigger blades and more powerful motors but they get heavier and less manouvreable so this one is at that sweet spot where it is not too heavy and not too incapable. I have never seen a saw sold with a suitable blade for a fine finish as standard Talay. Adding one increases the cost quite a bit of course. Fortunately the Fury is a common diameter/bore,

Mine has a cast aluminium chassis (do the Evolutions still have that?) which is what persuaded me to choose it over the other models at the same price. Adjustments are as good as models costing quite a bit more in my opinion no unexpected slackness or slippage. I bought a fine cross-cut blade. I have always replaced the standard blade when buying a saw. The final combination is fine. No lasers or other new technology functions but does the job.

For me the big improvement in cutting quality then comes from using a really solid guide. I managed to find a few of those adjustable self-clamping units on offer too some years ago. However I have also used softwood battons in the past clamped or screwed to the wood.

My guess is that I pays my money and takes my chance with whatever I get. Just hoping a couple will come into sale this week.

Often the way.
However. I have a 240V circular saw from B&Q. One of them McAllister jobbies.. A Birthday present from my good lady wife - she wanted some jobs doing 8-(

I also have an 18V Makita BS5610. Comes with the LXT600 kit.

No comparison. Makita every time.
Easier to use, better finish (allowing for any blade differences) etc.

Buying cheap is not always buying best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back