Circular saw advice

Hi again.

Been doing some research and the Draper 64717 seems to be plentiful on the web; around £50.

Is this saw any better than the cheap ones like Wickes or B&Q own brand, etc, or would it make more sense just to go for the cheap ones. I REALLY don't want to spend that much at the moment, but could possibly consider it if it's worth it.

How much am I looking at for a blade for laminate? Aren't there any saws (reasonably priced) that come with one?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a Ryobi, I think its the Ws6613 (Cant remember the exact model) this unit has been discontinued so you can pick one up for around £50 on Ebay. Its 1300W so plenty of power for any type of wood.
I would give the Argos stuff a miss it pays in the end to pick a decent make unless you get lucky because I'm sure somebody will reply with a " I have been using my Wickes rubbish for 3 years and no problems", its a bit like the smoker who will point out their grandad who smoked 60 a day and lived until he was 100!

Harry.

Thanks harryc.

I am a regular buyer on ebay but am a bit apprehensive getting this sort of thing from ebay, as I find it easier to deal with a retailer, etc, with regards to any problems arising.

Will look into it though, as it is a consideration; thanks.

Sponsored Links
Traveller said:
How much am I looking at for a blade for laminate? Aren't there any saws (reasonably priced) that come with one?

Thanks.

a laminate blade is around £60 on its own :rolleyes:

Ryobi over Draper every day of the week! As for eBay, there are plenty of 'proper' retailers selling new gear (with usual guarantee etc.)

eBay for blades too, I bought a 190mm trend blade (new) for a fiver last month. :D

Traveller said:
Depending on size £40 to £65 for a good, fine tooth triple chip laminate blade (the 190mm Freud on my portable saw cost me about £50) and no, every saw maker I've ever come across supplies a cruddy 'orrible coarse rip saw blade

Scrit

Thanks big-all, Deluks, Scrit.

£40, £50, £60, £65????? You are joking, right?!

Thanks for the warning everyone!

No way I could get a saw AND a blade at those prices! Can I get away with a really cheap one just for the current job only (it's only a few inches; for the sides of the U shape to go around a wash basin pedestal)?

Traveller said:
Thanks big-all, Deluks, Scrit.

Thanks for the warning everyone!

No way I could get a saw AND a blade at those prices! Can I get away with a really cheap one just for the current job only (it's only a few inches; for the sides of the U shape to go around a wash basin pedestal)?

well a circular aint very good at going round corners :D :D :D ;)

down cut blade in a jigsaw and a 5mm bead of mastic will hide any dammage ;)

Traveller said:
Nope! Chinese stuff may be allright for some things, but they still don't make decent saws for laminate work.

B-A is right about not going round corners, though :LOL:

Scrit

I'm beginning to wonder if you actually need a circ saw at all :?: :?: :?:

Haha big-all; Yes I know, I know. I meant for the straight parts of the U shape as stated in my third post in this thread (last paragraph).

Ok Scrit.

Deluks, oops, I completely forgot what I originally needed the saw for! Haha. The legs, the legs; sorry! I urgently need it for the TWO purposes mentioned, but, as stated before, I will definitely need it in future for laminate boards, etc.

However, upon learning of the costs, the "sharp handsaw" suggestion is sounding more realistic (or maybe a manual mitre saw), if somewhat less appealing. Will I be able to get a perfectly straight cut in all directions even with battening (sp?)?

Thanks everyone....time to ponder....

Borrow one for the cuts, and put your £50 towards getting a better quality saw for future use. Have you ever considered the Ryobi one+ range, they do a circ saw for about£60, but it occasionally pops up on screwfix for £99 with 2 batteries/charger and 18v drill.

Hi Deluks.

Thanks for the advice.

I thought that was the most sensible option to start with, that's why I originally took the wood to a kitchen manufacturer I knew, however, as mentioned already the cuts were done in a hurry and I was left with mismatched sizes.

I also asked the person who usually carries out DIY for us, but unfortunately his old circular saw broke or something.

This is when I was left with the option of buying one myself, which I thought was a ok as I am extremely meticulous and believe that I could do a much more careful job than a professional in a hurry who doesn't really care if the work is neat or not.

I would have gone for a good one to start with but the entire budget is going to go towards buying other things for the room. I will be able to get a good saw in future, but will have to wait to come across a lucky bargain with regards to the blade!.

Are you referring to a cordless saw? If so, I don't want a cordless one; will only be using it at home; don't want to bother with all that re-charging business for a few minutes work each time.

Thanks.

Traveller said:
Hi Deluks.

I also asked the person who usually carries out DIY for us, but unfortunately his old circular saw broke or something.

This is when I was left with the option of buying one myself, which I thought was a ok as I am extremely meticulous and believe that I could do a much more careful job than a professional in a hurry who doesn't really care if the work is neat or not.

it probably "broke" because he doesnt want to lend it to you. his tools are his livelehood.

I would check your definition of professional. a professional will know how to use such a tool correctly to achieve the right result, wont be in a hurry and will care about the result and his work being neat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back