Best Car For Newly Qualified Driver

Sponsored Links
Bicycle is best vehicle for new drivers. .then they might appreciate what nobends so many drivers are

Sponsored Links
Am still looking at used cars for a newly qualified driver. I'm still trying to work out the best car to go for.

Obviously, there is insurance to consider, then reliability/ ease of fixing if it goes wrong.

I appreciate what people say about spending a bit more, but budget dictates a sub-£1000 car. Preferably, I'd like a small diesel, as the higher mileages that this price bracket will have are generally "worn" better by a diesel.
I'd like an engine that is chain-driven, so no belt to worry about.
Either that or a car that is cheap to replace the belt. Ditto the clutch!

So, to sum up, a car that is low in insurance, chain-driven diesel, with parts that are cheap and easy to get hold of.

Not a big ask!

Ford and Vauxhall are obvious choices as cars that have a cheap and plentiful supply of parts.

I know the TDCi engines (PSA's HDi's) are chain-driven, and AFAIR, so is Vauxhall's 1.3 diesel.

So, given the budget, what would you buy?

Ford focus 1.6 diesel.

Also I had a 1.9 vauxhall (fiat engine) and it was the worst car I've ever had. The joke was always Fix It Again Tomorrow. I found out the hard way.

Edit: that said I think the smallers focus are belt driven, but I've had more chains fail than belts so take that how you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is interesting! I've never known a chain to fail and have actually driven a car to a garage for a belt change, when the guy got the top off, it was literally holding by a few threads.....

I'm a bit of a Skoda fan. I know the 1.9 TDi is considered pretty bullet-proof, but is the 1.4 the same. I know they are belt-driven.
Have you seen the video about an old Octavia called Miles?

It was a 2l BMW diesel that the chain went on. Had just done 100k.

Sponsored Links
Back