Best Material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a little cabinet to fix over the fuse box etc. All vey nice but now it comes to make the doors.

They are each about 400mm x 500mm. I was planning to use MDF but am concerned about it splitting when I try to screw hinges in.

What do people think would be the best approach?

Sponsored Links
Possibly - I suppose it distributes weight better.

But I assume they still have to be screwed in - so not sure how it solves my problem

:?:

55886-01-200.jpg

Sponsored Links
Possible, and a jolly good idea..........

and you know there must be a but...............

I am not sure there will be sufficient space behind the door to accomodate this hinge - the cupboard is to cover the fuse box and meter which is above the front door - I have tried to make it as shallow as possible so that it does not stick our into the room too far.

I will have a measure up.....

In the meantime, any other ideas?

A veyr impressive selection. However, all but one require you to screw into the edge of the MDF - my concern is that anything screwed into the edge will cause it to split (however, my experience with MDF is limited).

What is the one on the bottom right? Is this a hinge? Looks like a magnetic catch?

the storm hinge (last but one) screws onto the (inside) face of the door.

If you are worried about splitting you could drill through and use small nuts and bolts.

If you are screwing ito the edge of the door, drill a good pilot hole to take the shank of the screw, so only the thread cuts in. "Chipboard Screws" are not tapered. The weight of the door will be at 90 degrees to the screw so it will not try to pull out.

Edited: Bah, too slow :(

Cheers Big-all - so you do not find any problem screwing into the edge of mdf as long as you use a non-tapering screw and you drill a pilot hole?

JohnD

[/quote]the storm hinge (last but one) screws onto the (inside) face of the door.
From the picture it does show a screw hole on the edge as well - but I guess you could just not use this one

sam8364 said:
Cheers Big-all - so you do not find any problem screwing into the edge of mdf as long as you use a non-tapering screw and you drill a pilot hole?

absolutely none just use an offcut to try your pilot holes and screws on as screws and drills can vary

you may have slight delamination if your pilot hole is to small and near the end but in this case doesnt apply
if you do accidently get delamination fill with glue clamp either side and drive the screw fully home problem solved :LOL: :LOL:

just forgot to mention if you use a "powerd " screwdriver
tighten the last 2 turns by hand to avoid "stripping " the thread ;)

after a few dozen youll get the feel of how tight to go with a powered screwdriver ;) but in the meantime on the 10% stripped you,ve either had to glue the stripped hole or drill another 20mm deeper and use 40mm screw :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back