Best method of jointing out cables going into a DB in a..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..Domestic dwelling?

im a commercial/industrial spark and will shortly most likely be doing a mains change for a family member, i was just wondering what the best method of extending cables out in a domestic property is? i was thinking a metal enclosure with a dinrail mounted and din rail connectors but is that maybe a bit far fetched?

All answers/help appreciated,
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, that's perfectly ok. It doesn't have to be metal, though.

As long as the connections are accessible, they can be screwed.

Sponsored Links
piece of 3x3 trunking above and through crimp the lot..

See i know its a safe connection but id feel alot more at ease using dinrail connectors, also every cable crimped through and stuffed into a bit of trunking? i wouldnt like that in my house but needs must i suppose.

Through crimps is also a cheaper method.

crimped is permanent ( until the next rewire anyway ) and will not need testing every few years for loose connections.

there's always the possibility that vibration ( door slamming nearby, someone trapsing up and down stairs etc ) will shake a screwed connection loose..
then theres the chance that you missed one while tightening thm all and it tests fine but falls out a while later..

crimped is permanent ( until the next rewire anyway ) and will not need testing every few years for loose connections.

there's always the possibility that vibration ( door slamming nearby, someone trapsing up and down stairs etc ) will shake a screwed connection loose..
then theres the chance that you missed one while tightening thm all and it tests fine but falls out a while later..

Good point crimping does sound like the better option now ive read that, Re missing a terminal and leaving loose cables, you would get a reading on a meter but it would be off the norm if its not a sound connection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back