Best option for swapping halogen spotlights for LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm a bit behind in the world of LED lighting as before having a baby earlier this year, we didn't really use the main lights very often. However, the existing halogen spotlights are now getting a lot more use (and some of the transformers have died) so I think it's time to look at swapping them for LED.

Currently I have Halogen MR16 bulbs with 12v transformers.

I have done a brief bit of research and it seems that I can quite easily remove the transformers and replace with GU10 lamp holders as these run of the 230v mains.

Is it really as simple as that, or have I missed something?

Is there anything I should consider if I want to make them dimmable? (They are not currently dimmable).

Is it going to be possible for me to reuse the existing spotlight and replace the bulb connection within the spotlight to take the GU10s? I have seen these https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-g...q6sAp__zek3G17xmTAwaAr52EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds and it looks like they might be designed for this purpose?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I can quite easily remove the transformers and replace with GU10 lamp holders as these run of the 230v mains.
Theoretically yes, the connectors will need to be replaced as they would have been designed for 12V and not 230V, you will also be modifying the product and will effectively be the manufacturer if it.

Those replacement lampholders from Screwfix and the like are intended as replacements for fittings which are already 230V and can have the bracket clipped on - not as a conversion device from 12V to 230V. They are also designed for a single cable only, and won't be of any use if there is more than one cable (as found with most downlight installations). That particular one is also rather shoddy and non-compliant as the earth connection isn't contained within the housing.

Although it will cost more, far better to just buy new GU10 light fittings that are designed for the purpose.

Dimmable requires the use of dimmable GU10 lamps, and a dimmer which is specifically designed for LED lamps.

Those replacement lampholders from Screwfix and the like are intended as replacements for fittings which are already 230V and can have the bracket clipped on - not as a conversion device from 12V to 230V.

Yet just about every review has used them for exactly that.

Sponsored Links
In 1966 the rules for low voltage lights changed, and except for the pendant and MR16 lamps have no pendant so must be an earth on the supply even if not used.

Only with extra low voltage can you have light supplies with no earth.

So moving from G5.3 to GU10 for MR16 lamps may require a re-wire to where there is an earth.

If you have the earth bond then GU10 likely best option. Using a wire wound transformer you can use 12 volt G5.3 LED bulbs, but an electronic transformer has two problems.
1) Likely minimum output.
2) Can turn into a mini transmitter.

Wire wound transformers can't be used with dimmer switch and GU10 you can get wifi connected bulbs so no need for dimmer switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back