Best replacement for Ideal Mexico 2 boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old (maybe 17 years) Ideal Mexico 2 RS75P, Propane/LPG fuel with input of 29.8kW (101.5BTu) & output of 22.7kW (77.5BTu). It has become increasingly costly to run, presumably as its efficiency drops, plus of course modern boiler design has moved on masses in the intervening period.

It is floor standing, but there is no absolute need for a floor standing replacement though it would be marginally more convenient.

I need to find a Sedbuk A replacement I guess with perhaps a little more oomph than the current one which struggles to keep the house warm during the coldest spells in my 4 bed detached house in a rural location (with planned conservatory, floor area approaches 2000sq ft, 185m2).

I am assuming that a condensing boiler is going to be the way to go, but am unsure what make or model to consider. I have a kitchen, family bathroom and downstairs shower room for hot water demand on top of pressed steel radiator heating.

Sponsored Links
I would look at Vaillant Ecotec 428. Your cylinder will most likely need to be replaced.

i would go with DP on this one or possibly a vaillant 630 if space isn't an issue.

i certainly would NOT recommend another Ideal as they only make junk these days!!

Is there any likelihood that this boiler would qualify for the scrappage scheme? A government donation at this stage would be quite helpful.

Sponsored Links
It might be worth switching to an oil fired system but you would need to do some research into the comparible running costs and decide whether the extra installation cost of an oil fired system would be justified.

It might be worth switching to an oil fired system but you would need to do some research into the comparible running costs and decide whether the extra installation cost of an oil fired system would be justified.
If you're on LPG you definitely need a boiler with weather compensation. First choice would be Atag, then Veissmann. Some of the other makes have the feature now but are quite new to the market.

if you have a half decent budget, it might be worth looking at ground source heat pumps, especially as your using lpg as your main source of heating.

Is there any likelihood that this boiler would qualify for the scrappage scheme? A government donation at this stage would be quite helpful.
Possibly. What is the GC (Gas Council) number of your boiler? It will be on the data plate and start with 41.

i would go with DP on this one or possibly a vaillant 630 if space isn't an issue.

i certainly would NOT recommend another Ideal as they only make junk these days!!

dont forget the ideal classic he. they are still a great common sense boiler without all this zero governor rubbish & only 1 pcb. will last for years. fitted one in my own house !

D-Hailsham,

I can't find any Gas Council number either under the top flap or inside the casing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back