Best type of material for alcove shelf/desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a shelf/desk in an alcove. The alcove is 96cm wide and for argument sake the depth would be 100cm so looking at 1m sq sheet of material. The desk would support laptop, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc and would be supported by a baton along the 2 sides of the alcove but not the back. I hope to have it appear as wood (ie not painted) and want to know best suggestions for material to use. For example would plywood be strong enough to support a meter span? What thickness would not bow? Should I build in parallel strengthing and if so should it be at the ends or hidden in the middle. Finally if I was to want to paint it would MDF be a better choice.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
3.9 scaffold board old or new cut in 4 gives you 36" suspect 27" will be more than enough depth so flexible

Thanks @big-all I had not considered a scaffold board. Any suggestions if I want a single sheet of material for the whole 1m sq?

Sponsored Links
any sheet material will need support on all edges with batons and say 44mm edging on the front
other options are worktop but your limited to around 625 or 925mm
you are far far better going for between 18x27" and shelves above and below for storage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back