Best way to tap into this power source?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to power a usb camera off this existing power source that drives my under unit kitchen lights. What is the best way to do this please?
IMG_7909.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Don't go anywhere near that PSU, it is 24v and probably not that stable (given it is designed for lighting).
Easiest (assuming there's an earth in that JB) will be buy a 1 gang 13A USB socket and backbox, give it power from that JB and off you go.
Or a standard 1g socket with a USB adaptor plugged in
EDIT Make sure the circuit is appropriately fused and protected by an RCD. If there is no RCD then look for 240v USB power supply (the one I saw on Ebay RUWXNTU4 is American and will need enclosing cos no secondary insulation on the supply wires)

Last edited:
Hmmm . Why would you want to?
None of our business. Maybe wanting to see where the slugs get in or if next doors' cat is sneaking in and eating all the food (both reasons I've set up kitchen cameras for)

Sponsored Links
The cam would only then have power, when the light was turned on, but if that is acceptable....

Connect a 13amp socket, to the joint box, then plug a USB wallwart type PSU, into the socket.

Ho. we could do with this set up in ours - who keeps pilfering the choky biscuits?

I keep telling S W M B O not to buy rich tea biscuits - why not? because I don`t like them.
Neither Choc digestive biscuits too - why not? because I DO like them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back