Best way to turn a pull switch into a normal switch in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have this pull switch in the bathroom but i want to change it into a normal light switch in the bathroom which is tiled.

click below pic to enlarge.

light switch.JPG

i had a look around online and was thinking a wireless switch would be the best but thought I would ask on here first!

any advice is much appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Wall construction? Loft above? Where would the switch be in relation to bath or shower? While you can have a switch in a bathroom, if outside of the zones, a switch outside the door is still preferred.

wall construction....tile+plaster i believe. click pics below.

b1.JPG b2.JPG b3.JPG

yes, loft above.

i was thinking to have the switch to the right (between the door and the mirror). just to the right of the door frame.

The easiest would be to have a new pull cord on the opening side of the door. I doubt you want to remove a row of tiles. I understand that the wireless switches do work, but haven't had experience myself.

Sponsored Links
ah ok, so i run the cables across the top of the ceiling and then just install a new pull cord there? i prefer a switch tbh, not a fan of the pull cords. would it not be easy enough, even if it wasnt a wile switch, to run the wires across to the right and down to shoulder level and install a switch.

or-are wireless switch like this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Wi...hash=item212e70d5f2:m:mk2e8IG_CVh7h0RYUXTW8VA

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm guessing you don't want the cable surface mounted above the tiles (that would be way uglier than a pull switch). I think there are two wired options: Chase the wires down the wall on the outside of the wall, and then only have to deal with one tile. Or rip off a vertical set of tiles and have the cable chased in on this side.

I'm guessing you don't want the cable surface mounted above the tiles (that would be way uglier than a pull switch). I think there are two wired options: Chase the wires down the wall on the outside of the wall, and then only have to deal with one tile. Or rip off a vertical set of tiles and have the cable chased in on this side.

oooohhh yes, good points. ok so its going to be either a pull switch or a wireless switch i think. what do you think of the one in the link?

I'm guessing you don't want the cable surface mounted above the tiles (that would be way uglier than a pull switch).
I would have though that, with a bit of care, some sort of white trunking could be fixed (over the tiles) beside the opening side of the 'door frame' (architrave) (which goes right up to the ceiling) in such a manner as to be virtually unnoticeable (so not necessarily ugly). I would personally probably take it right down to floor level, which would make it possible to make it look even more like part of the door frame. If the OP were then prepared to accept a surface-mounted switch, the amount of interference with the tiles could probably be limited to just the drilling of a couple of holes.

Whether it's worth the effort just to avoid a pull cord is obviously an individual decision.

Kind Regards, John

I would be looking at a reputable vendor, not something from unknown Chinese origin. I gather MK have a suitable device, but someone else needs to step in and advise now. I have no experience.

Also, a pull-cord with a nice National Trust wooden handle can be quite attractive. Each to his own though.

ok thanks very much mate. it would be great to get advice on the wireless switch first if anyone has knowledge on this. thanks

Also, a pull-cord with a nice National Trust wooden handle can be quite attractive.
As long as it is not too heavy.
I was forever going to jobs replacing pullcords with heavy wotsits dangling from them as the mechanism was effed.

Can the switch not go outside the door? Stud wall or solid? If stud, a sparky could drop one in in an hour or so.

Can the switch not go outside the door? Stud wall or solid? If stud, a sparky could drop one in in an hour or so.

no idea what a stud wall is so cant answer that. i think its plaster. there is a switch there already actually for the landing. i could make tht a double and add this in? but wireless feels the easiest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back