bg hitting its engineers.

For me it`s simple as this.

If someone i employ "pinches" work that could have come my way he`s down the road.

Unless he wants to repay me for all the training courses i sent him on,his acs etc. time i`ve given up to train him.

Oh! i remember now, he did, so he is!

Think OP wants his cake and eat it.

Paul

:evil:

Sponsored Links
BoxBasher said:
The phrase "working in competition" is an ambiguous one.

Surely if you are priced more reasonably then you are not working in direct competition. I know many people feel put off by the prices of BG and would therefore try and get quotes off a local independant. If that customer would never consider BG then surely you aren't competing with them...?

I think a real conflict would be if you were soliciting for work whilst on BG jobs - not so hard to prove if they set you up, but very hard to disprove if they accuse you...

i think that is more likely what they are worried about. BG prices are set in stone, they wont change. they may harp on about losing repeat business after the independant has installed a boiler though.

Think OP wants his cake and eat it.

as do many others who will leave or get the boot i guess.

they're not saying you can't do work outside of your normal working hours.. you're free to stackshelves, repair cars, deliver pizzas, caprentry, decorating etc etc...

all they are saying is that you can't do work that takes work off of them.. or potentially does anyway....

you can do plumbing and all sorts, as long as you don't do gas...

wilhelm said:
err i believe the script goes like this. if you are employed, you do as youre fekkin told. and if you dont like it ,you go self employed, and do what you fekkin like.

:rolleyes:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Cake.......eat it ..springs to mind :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'd love to see someone take them to court onthe grounds of unfair dismissal just because they're Corgi registered. They don't want you doing private jobs fair enough but is having a Corgi card enough reason. There's nothing illegal about it and certainly isnt proof that you ARE doing private work. Just means you've paid some money to join a competant persons scheme.

why pay to join a scheme that you are already covered under by the company you work for whilst doing work for them?

then again, i've been employed with a company for 3 years but still pay for my public liability insurance...

if there was a loophole that allowed you to hold a corgi reg but not use whilst under BG's employ how long do you think it would be before they closed it?

the argument from BG would surely be that if you dont want to work outside BG then you have no reason to hold your own corgi reg, and should therefore be giving it up anyway.

Jumbo 55, I have just started reading your post so forgive me if what I say has already been posted.

You work as a gas engineer for BG under their CORGI number umbrella. As soon as you quit work and go home, you are no longer "a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the HSE". In other words not CORGI registered. You CAN do gas work, but only for yourself or as long as it is not for reward. Also you will not have insurance should things go belly up.

suggest you read the post danny panesar, what you say may be right, but has nothing to do with this post, keep up the good work on the vokera's :LOL: and i hope it stays raining in scotland for a whole week. ;)

I worked for Bg for 8 years and became a technical support engineer, the company was great at first but then became bad in the last few years,BG can and will and already have sacked engineers for side jobs but i think that it is wrong because i sell my labour to a company from 8:00 to 17:00 after that i do what i want, my skills are mine my tools are mine.BG do not care about their engineers to them you are a number only,sorry for going on a bit i just get on my soap box

why should they care

they pay you dont they

or do you do it for the love of BG

what a load of sanctimoniuos blige

Flow Switch said:
I worked for Bg for 8 years and became a technical support engineer, the company was great at first but then became bad in the last few years,BG can and will and already have sacked engineers for side jobs but i think that it is wrong because i sell my labour to a company from 8:00 to 17:00 after that i do what i want, my skills are mine my tools are mine.BG do not care about their engineers to them you are a number only,sorry for going on a bit i just get on my soap box

hmmm, an interesting post. like corgi said its mostly rubbish.

BG has never been a particularly easy company to work for.....not since it went private anyway.

if you think it is wrong to sack engineers for doing side jobs i would suggest you read the terms and conditions of your employment where it clearly says you musnt. some example you set as a TSM.

if you gained your skills from BG then they are not really "yours" after all.

have you never used a BG tool or part for a homer?

BG ask you to do a job. you either do it to the best of your ability or you dont. they care about their employees about as much as any other large company does. if you dont like it leave.....its really that simple.

You do have a point about the tools i did use some things like a telegan from time to time but never the van or took any materials,i didn't do many side jobs it was not worth the bother most of the time so i just did the odd repair or service,i think a company should care about their engineers and not to have the big stick attitude when targets weren't met when you could do nothing about it Travel,computer probs,materials etc. i held my own qualification and my own tools long before going to BG and i used my own because i preferred them to theirs.I was a good TSE and looked after 40 pluss engineers and helped them with tech probs and also defended them from the managers when their numbers were down.The point is that like me engineers are leaving all the time and it seems that it is always the best ones

Bg are doing the right thing. Keep their engineers under so much pressure they can not do a good job and then charge a fortune for not doing it. I love them. Get more business from dissatisfied bg customers than anything else. I must agree with one thing though. If an engineer working for me used my van, my tools and possibly my solder, tape, and what have you and spend the weekend or evening to compete with my business and then came to work too tired to do the best job he can without my permission, I would be unhappy. And he would be looking for a new job.

when i recently left BG only people i knew with seperate corgi were the install lads

Sponsored Links
Back