BG want engineers to hand back their private corgi Reg's

JB Gas said:
There not saying you have to give your corgi back but if you don't they will sack you as they belive holding your own corgi means you are working in competition, I would get rid of it.

Or they could go it alone

Go On lads grow a pair and stop fannying about

:)

Sponsored Links
JB Gas said:
There not saying you have to give your corgi back but if you don't they will sack you as they belive holding your own corgi means you are working in competition, I would get rid of it.

I dont think that would be a sackable offence just to hold your own CORGI registration.

The ITs I have been on would expect to see some evidence that the employee was also doing work in competition.

To take the legal argument to the extreme ( as a method of testing it ) they could say that if you had your own set of gas tools they could sack you without any evidence of work being done.

To the other extreme if a BG man did private work using Company tools then it would be clearly a strong sackable offence like going to private jobs in the BG van.

I know of someone who did his private installations in his Iguana van. I did mention it to the Iguana boss but he did not press me for the identity of his employee. The problem was he had fitted the boiler dangerously in two gas safety respects!

Tony

Agile said:
JB Gas said:

I dont think that would be a sackable offence just to hold your own CORGI registration.

Tony

Oh yes it does

and they will

Sponsored Links
True

I remember the days when BG Men were to best of the best and you could respect them

Huge Bearded Men built like barges and pipe smokers to a man

Nowadays They are a load of whingy Lady boys

"I want to do privates at the weekend but they wont let me use their gear the bastards"

"ooohhh self employment No way then I might have to take some responsibilty rather than say "its the pcb" and slope it to someone else and be home in time for countdown"

;)

Agile said:

Tony

Oh yes it does

and they will

:)[/quote]

If BG did that then I strongly suspect that a determined employee perhaps with the backing of his union would be able to claim unfair dismissal.

BG would have to prove that the employee was doing private work. Merely holding a CORGi registration is no proof of doing work.

Having a Driving Licence does not mean that you are actually driving!!!

Tony

why would there be a case to answer if the employment contract states that independant CORGI reg would be considered a conflict of interest and as such would be treated as gross misconduct

I am sure the employment Contract has many clauses to prevent employees doing gas work in their spare time.

It would be surprising if it actually specifically stated that they cannot hold a CORGi registration or for that matter or own an FGA for example.

Does anyone have the exact wording of the relevant part of the BG employment Contract to quote?

Just because I have a box of matches does not mean that I am an arsonist!

Tony

Agile said:

Tony

Well to be fair You were aquited due to lack of evidence

;)

Sorry I said that wrongly! It should have been:-

"Just because I have a box of matches does not prove that I am an arsonist."

Similarly:-

"Just because someone has a CORGi registration it does not prove that he is doing any gas work".

Tony

As you say it would be good if someone could post any DIRECT mentions of CORGI in a BG contract

Agile said:
Do you have half a box of matches?

Agile said:
I am sure the employment Contract has many clauses to prevent employees doing gas work in their spare time.

It would be surprising if it actually specifically stated that they cannot hold a CORGi registration or for that matter or own an FGA for example.

Does anyone have the exact wording of the relevant part of the BG employment Contract to quote?

Tony

nickso said:
ok i found out about this.

without possibly breaking the data act the contract specifically says (in other words).

employees shall not give potential business to a competitor.

employees shall not work in competition to BG.

fairly ambigious but also pretty straightforward.

there is nothing in the current contract that refers to a seperate CORGI registration

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back