Big Numbers today

That is not my point.

How much extra tax should we charge bald men?

When a plumber buys a first-class postage stamp, what additional surcharge should he pay?

If a woman from Lancashire gets on a Yorkshire bus, how much extra should the ticket cost?

Sponsored Links
The same as anyone else who has come from another country and paid zero in to our healthcare and tax system, but who will benefit from its free services from almost day 1. Things have to be paid for. Things cannot be free for the whole world.

Things have to be paid for. Things cannot be free for the whole world.

That's why we pay tax and National Insurance.

A person who works in this country and pays tax and national insurance is not getting anything "free."

Neither is she "the whole world."

The curious thing about the NHS surcharge is that it can go on and on. Eg care worker paying her taxes and has been for 12 years. She was extremely pleased when told it's going to be dropped. But - should people be charged for ever?

Sponsored Links
I'm open to being corrected, but the test I took isn't supposed to be very effective if you don't have symptoms

A press question, useful, unusually, bought out a bit of information on this. It is possible to test some one who is asymptotic and get a negative result. ;) I missed the question thanks to my wife but suspect it was pretesting before some one boarded an aeroplane. A woolly period of 5 days was mentioned.

Aaymptotic - must make getting sensible data about kids difficult.

The rapid test I mentioned doesn't seem to be the one trialled in a hospital early on. That was based on a machine developed for ebola. It's new and seems to be based on a testing technique that is more common for veterinary work. It came about because a suitable person just happened to be helping out in a test lab of some sort. When asked about accuracy the reply was a bit of a side step. 100% of those that tested positive were. Swab based and the importance of taking those correctly was mentioned. Sounds like they are going to try it in a variety of settings but a qualified nurse to take the swabs.

It looks like hospital entry is levelling out. Suggests deaths will too. Next thing to depress it further -- track and trace I assume.

HospitalEntry.jpg

Is that based on data or a model? It says per 100,000

Data
Overall daily hospital and ICU/HDU admission rates per 100,000 of new COVID-19 positive cases reported through CHESS, England

What is hard to read into it is how much is related to care homes. There have been indications that some were not taken where as now maybe that is more likely.

I feel it's the sort of behaviour that is expected. If lockdown was 100% effective hospitals would empty over a set time extended by time to die. Some still get infected related to the % of the population carrying the virus so while they still find these some people will end up in hospital. Some will die.

NICE info suggests people get moved around - HDU I assume is before an ICU. There is details on the NICE site about that. Some don't even need the HDU.

I think the issue may have been infection among key/esstential workers and those unable to work from home.

Is that based on data or a model? It says per 100,000

There are some interesting numbers about now. They have rather wide statistical bounds though due to relatively small sample sizes etc.

Carrying the virus. 0.25%, have had it and show antibodies 5 to 17%. To me that gives a fair idea of what would happen if it was just allowed to run it's course as some groups with specific reasons advocate after a fashion.

I think the issue may have been infection among key/esstential workers and those unable to work from home.

It looks like all testing until recently has been just hospital entries and key workers. Numbers found may be going down - maybe changes in working practices. They have also found asymptotic people - ambulance drivers has been mentioned.

How people get infected.? Asymptotics. Most need to shop at some points, probability is still low but hand washing skills come into it there and elsewhere. That's why I am glad to see mention of masks ( they were specifically mentioned initially - not the 2 types used by NHS staff ) face coverings include masks but uptake is still low and the sane thing is buy a mask. Easier to use than say a scarf.

Some groups handling young children have been using face shields as they have found that children will accept and even play with them. Maybe an alternative.

This article on the beeb site is quite interesting reading - talks about the complexity and baffling symptoms
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52760992

I'd picked nearly all of that up via BBC and C4. Also wondering about use of too much diuretics causing kidney problems. They were not expecting a need for kidney support and have had to do it in ways not usually used in an ICU. Later sticky blood etc, T cell boosting recently - a particular one now by the sound of it. ;) Makes me wonder if aspirin would be a better home hep than others.

There is some of the scientific "reasoning" available now but not fly on the wall type when it was talked about unfortunately.

https://www.gov.uk/government/group...upporting-the-government-response-to-covid-19

You might find the social intervention ones interesting along with numbers in others.

Sponsored Links
Back