Black and Decker drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a new electric drill that can be used for drilling and using as a screwdriver. I'm considering a Black and Decker drill because I've got some drill pieces from an older B&D drill so I guess these would be best compatible.

However, I've recently read some reviews of B&D drills such as the BDCDC18-GB where some people have said the chuck has got jammed and won't release. Is this a common issue or a fault of the person using it? Would you recommend another drill based on this?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What power do you need? If it is the occasional shelf to put up, then a 12V might be enough. I do not see how anything else from the old drill would transfer to that? Drill bit can be used in any of them, And if it is an old cordless drill chances are it has an incompatible battery pack and charger.

I find an 18v cordless combi, with two batteries, most convenient for more than 90% of DIY jobs in house and garden. Ideal balance of weight and power, and with two batts you can charge one while using the other, and is lighter in use than one big battery.

Do you have any particular requirements needing something different?

For value, some of the big chains do own-brand tools at very good prices. Aldi and Lidl have families of other cordless tools that can share the same battery.

If you are prosperous you can buy better quality, but it will cost you quite a bit more.

I do have other, bigger, more powerful mains tools, but they are nowhere near as convenient in use and are hardly ever needed.

What power do you need? If it is the occasional shelf to put up, then a 12V might be enough. I do not see how anything else from the old drill would transfer to that? Drill bit can be used in any of them, And if it is an old cordless drill chances are it has an incompatible battery pack and charger.

Its mainly for drilling wood for fixing loose floorboards, but also things such as putting up curtain rails.

The old Black and Decker drill is 12V and it wasn't powerful enough for drilling a hole for a curtain rail in one room. So it seems a 12V drill isn't powerful enough for drilling through brick.

Sponsored Links
12v is quite weak. Did it have hammer action?

How old is your house? Some bricks are harder than others and a mains power hammer drill will be better at a modest price, but less convenient for everything else.

12v is quite weak. Did it have hammer action?

How old is your house? Some bricks are harder than others and a mains power hammer drill will be better at a modest price, but less convenient for everything else.

The house is 1930s.

No, I don't think the drill has hammer action.

Are there any particular brands of drill you recommend?

Perhaps you have pink Flettons or white sand-lime bricks, which are two very hard examples of the period I've come across. Older houses may have soft red or yellow bricks, and newer ones lightweight concrete, which are easy.

Lidl Parkside are good value, and you can buy spare parts from the makers (a German company though I think they use Chinese factories) by mail order at a fair price. I have the advantage of speaking some German, but you could also ask Lidl. They usually have a 2 year no quibble guarantee, which I think is important when you buy cheap DIY tools.

AFAIK you can't get spares for the run of the mill Chinese imports like you get from Screwfix or Wickes, though they are probably equivalent quality and have a reasonable guarantee.

Is price key to you?

If you want a quality brand suitable for trade use, I don't know.

A trade may do more work in a week than you do in two years.

Lidl Parkside are good value, and you can buy spare parts from the makers (a German company though I think they use Chinese factories) by mail order at a fair price. I have the advantage of speaking some German, but you could also ask Lidl. They usually have a 2 year no quibble guarantee, which I think is important when you buy cheap DIY tools.

AFAIK you can't get spares for the run of the mill Chinese imports like you get from Screwfix or Wickes, though they are probably equivalent quality and have a reasonable guarantee.
It's maybe worth noting that Solent Tools are a source of some spare parts for B&Q, JCB, Erbauer, Macallaster. Parkside (LIDL), Performance Power, Titan, Worx, etc whilst some of the products (generally static tools like table saws, etc) from Aldi are actually sourced from Scheppach (UK distributor NMA Agencies). Brands like Black & Decker and Bosch (green) are fully supported

And the price of those tools reflects both durability and spares/technical back-up availability

Is price key to you?

Yes, I'm looking for a drill for no more than about £60 as I don't intend to use it regularly.

Is it worth considering a refurb as on eBay they are about £25-30 cheaper than buying brand new?

At your price point your best option is Aldi and with the spare cash buy a second battery.

this is an example of a serviceable 18v DIY drill from Aldi at £43. It has hammer action and screwdriver settings.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-18v-combi-drill/p/717444591108500
but it only has one battery. you might find they have an offer on a 2-batt kit or a spare battery.
I have an idea that Aldi "Ferrex" brand tools are made by Einhell, which is another mass-market German company. Scheppach are sold under their own name and also some are rebranded as Parkside. I can't remember now which spares and accessories I found on the German website.

the larger Aldi kits start around £90
https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?text=drill&category=ALL

Lidl have a 20v one, but their website is not as good and I can't see if it is on sale or the price. "Parkside" is their in-house brandname

Screwfix have a wide range, you can see the "name" brands are dearer. "bare" means no battery or charger, hence the lower price.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/co...t830832&powervoltagesupply=18_v&sort_by=price

Toolstation are similar.

I also have one from Wickes, but their website is very slow today
https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?q=cordless+drill:price-asc:Type:Combi+drills&text=cordless+drill#

in the DIY trade, sales promotions tend to arrive just before a Bank Holiday Weekend, when people fantasize that they will be doing lots of jobs, or Fathers Day or Christmas when tools are bought as presents.

So sign up for newsletters and get prior notice of special offers.

Two batteries, and a hard case, are I think valuable extras. A kit of drills and screwdriver bits is not, because thery are so cheap to buy separately.

if you have a warranty claim, try to get a refund, not an exchange. if you then buy a new one, you get a new 2-year guarantee on it. IMO these DIY tools are so cheap that if you get 2 years use out of one, you can afford to throw it away if it goes wrong later and you can't repair it yourself.

A drill-driver is not much good, unless you already have a combi drill and have a lot of screws to put in. I use 2 combi drills instead.

Last edited:
Also have a look at the Bosch Multipurpose drills , I now use them all the time, excellent on Brick etc - and dont need the hammer function , whereas before with masonry bits had to use hammer on the same walls
Used in various buildings now , friends, family - DIYing

Screwfix & toolstation used to have a set at a great price, but like everything post covid, prices seem to have increased considerably

I can only find
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-expert-straight-shank-multi-purpose-drill-bits-4-piece-set/138ky
now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back