Black & Decker Drill "Jumping" out of gear!

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My relatively new (10 months old) corded hammer drill has started to what can only be described as "jump" out of gear.

I was drilling a particulary tough wall and the drill stopped rotating as if I'd let go of the trigger (i.e. it didn't jam), which I hadn't.

It now works in reverse fine, but the only way I can get it go forwards is to press the direction switch as far in a possible and hold it, then pull the trigger. If the direction switch isn't pressed, it starts to rotate but then stops almost immediately as if the direction switch is slipping to the mis-position. It's not as if the gears are broken, because even the motor doesn't turn.

Just wondering if anyone could offer any pearls of wisdom!

Sponsored Links
Worn out, get an exchange.

B&D are quite good for replacements under guarantee. If they have a local centre, carry it in. you may find they have bins full of mended "reconditioned" tools at very low prices.

Do it quickly before the warranty runs out.

If you have a cheap tool outside warranty, it's often worth talking it apart to see if you can spot an easy fault, before you bin it.

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/service/

https://service.toolcommerce.com/Support/AgentLocator/Default.aspx

...If a Black & Decker product becomes defective due to faulty materials, workmanship or lack of conformity, within 24 months from the date of purchase, Black & Decker guarantees to replace defective parts, repair products subjected to fair wear and tear or replace such products to ensure minimum inconvenience to the customer unless: ...

Cheers John, will give it a go. (If I can find the documents etc!)

Sponsored Links
A bit late for BON op, but may help other readers.

My B&D Cordless suffered similarly.

In my case, it's to do with the rotation changer. As long as the button is pressed in far enough - no probs.
As this part 'wore' out, I eventually replaced it, & all is well again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back