Black Lives Matter Protests Today in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it a cruel irony that footballers, nfl players , even members of the public, are "taking the knee" in memory of a man who died under the knee?
yes Ive been thinking that.

I don't like the all the 'knee on neck' metaphors being used, it seems disrespectful....it reminds me of that MP that said he wouldnt be pursuing a particular policy with the 'bow doors open'.

Sponsored Links
yes it is a fact that a higher % of people in essential jobs where risk of infection is raised are people from the BAME community. Bus drivers, cleaners, NHS nurses etc etc.

is there?

perhaps they are more likely to live in high rise flats or have to take the bus.

Another who doesn't like facts and who prefers speculation.

It is a fact that there has been a significantly greater incidence of BAME community members breaching lockdown in London and it is a fact that the BAME community have experienced greater mortality from Covid-19.
Deaths from Covid 19, or deaths due to systemic racism. That's the stark choice.
They have made their choice. They see a better life for their descendants, albeit at a cost to themselves.

"Systemic racism continues to cause incalculable harm across the world.
Our hearts weep for the suffering caused – for those who have lost their lives, those who have experienced persecution, those who live in fear. "
https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/13...solidarity-with-black-lives-matter-protesters

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”
Dr Martin Luther King

Deaths from Covid 19, or deaths due to systemic racism. That's the stark choice.

No, it's not. A man was murdered in America by a group of rogue Police. It will be dealt with in America by the appropriate authorities. A wrong done in America does not give licence for a wrong to be done here.

They see a better life for their descendants, albeit at a cost to themselves.

But it's not just at a cost to themselves. It's at a cost to everyone who will, through no fault of their own, become infected and possibly die because of the morons attending these events - entirely preventable infections and deaths. It will be at a cost to everyone who has to endure longer or additional lockdowns because of a spike caused by the morons attending these events. And it will be at a cost to everyone who suffers in a longer and deeper recession than we're already heading for because of the morons attending these events. There is no upside to these protests / demos / riots.

Sponsored Links
Another who doesn't like facts and who prefers speculation.
oh dear Ceres is wrong as usual

"The review said people of BAME communities are likely to be at increased risk of acquiring the infection because they are more likely to live in urban areas, in overcrowded households, in deprived areas, and have jobs that expose them to higher risk"
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-02...ng-bame-is-major-risk-factor-report-suggests/

Certain occupations - security guards, taxi or bus drivers and construction workers and social care staff - are at higher risk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52889106

But it's not just at a cost to themselves. It's at a cost to everyone who will, through no fault of their own, become infected and possibly die

Your attitude seems to be, "entrenched, systemic, institutionalised racism is OK, it might cause deaths, and incalculable harm throughout the world, but it won't harm me."
But when that racism, and protests against it, potentially affect you and others, suddenly, it's not OK anymore.

longer and deeper recession than we're already heading for because of the morons attending these events.
oh dear -you are quick to blame these protests, but you refuse to accept this government has made a shambles of this crisis

It goes beyond what happened in America, and until the government and authorities recognises that they will not be able to stop it.

Priti Patel talking on news today, totally missing the point, and therefore helping fuel the problem.

oh dear -you are quick to blame these protests, but you refuse to accept this government has made a shambles of this crisis

Stay on topic please. This thread is discussing the BLM protests. If you want to rehash your obsessive rants on the Government handling of the pandemic, start a new thread.

Ceres says people shouldnt protest, it doesnt work, theres no point, people should just put up with oppression.

Don't put words in my mouth please. I am completely opposed to mass gatherings with zero social distancing and with abuse and violence towards the Police WHILE WE ARE IN LOCKDOWN DURING A PANDEMIC. Is that so hard to understand?

Edited to make clear: I'm opposed to abuse and violence towards the Police at any time. It turned my stomach to watch the pictures of the Police Officers in normal street uniforms with no face covering being screamed at close quarters by so-called protestors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back