Black marks on ceiling

S

Shutpa

Had an extension built 3 years ago and last year black marks appeared on the edge of the ceilings in the bedroom at the front of the house and on the shower room at the back of the house. A plasterer neighbour suggested that it was condensation and that a coat of Dulux steam and moisture paint for bathrooms would solve the problem. It hasn't. Any suggestions as to how I could sort this out once and for all? I have a feeling that perhaps the loft insulation may be at the root of the problem but it's only a feeling. Some of the spots are circular in appearance could this be the location of screws?

Sponsored Links
do you have mechanical ventilation in the bathroom?

as the problem is occurring at the peripheries of the room, and, i assume towards the outside wall, then it sounds as if condensation will be the most likely cause.
it is probably a mould growth brought about by the condensation.

Thanks Noseall. Yes I do have an extractor in the the shower room. But I don't have one in the south facing bedroom where I have a similar problem. Remedy?

Sponsored Links
condensation forms where moisture laden air meets a colder surface and the water trapped within that air is released as condensation. it is especially prevalent during cold winter periods.

you can combat the effects of condensation either by reducing the temperature differential through the use of insulation or by reducing the damp within the building, via ventilation or common sense.

read this too.//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76924

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back