Black Rod.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Saw this picture recently -

upload_2019-9-12_13-14-55.png

and thought how unfair life is when some men go bald and he has such a full head of white hair.

Silly me. It turns out that it is a woman - oh well.

What will happen if/when a person of blackness is appointed to the position?
Will they change the name or would no person of blackness ever want to do it?

Imagine the reaction when such a picture went around the world under the headline "Black Rod enters Parliament". :eek:

Sponsored Links
Are you stalking me, EFLI? :cautious:

I've sent that very same picture less than an hour ago, to a friend (on the subject of the "quaintness" of our parliamentary "democracy")..........

It’s not exactly in touch with today. I wonder how much could be saved if they ditched all this pomp.

Sponsored Links
Cost estimates for works to the Houses of Parliament range between £3.5bn and £5.6bn (described as 'indicative costs' which allows for additional costs)

How about a new place for the powers than rule over us to conduct their business - a nice new office building on a business park somewhere in the midlands?

Although, if Portcullis House is anything to go by, I'm sure that our leaders could break a few cost records with any building they inhabit.

Cost estimates for works to the Houses of Parliament range between £3.5bn and £5.6bn (described as 'indicative costs' which allows for additional costs)

How about a new place for the powers than rule over us to conduct their business - a nice new office building on a business park somewhere in the midlands?
Are you just moaning or have you got a point to make

Saw this picture recently -

View attachment 171195

and thought how unfair life is when some men go bald and he has such a full head of white hair.

Silly me. It turns out that it is a woman - oh well.

What will happen if/when a person of blackness is appointed to the position?
Will they change the name or would no person of blackness ever want to do it?

Imagine the reaction when such a picture went around the world under the headline "Black Rod enters Parliament". :eek:

Black Rod.

I thought thats how a black man refers to his Johnson.

The point is simple - how much are we prepared to pay to maintain tradition?

The post was in response to post#4 and was relevant to the thread

£3b is an awful lot of money to refurbish an old building......I mean Brexit has so far only cost £60b....and thats for something with no tangible benefits
Oh wait a minute thats not true....we have got blue passports, even if they are made in France.

You have an interesting posting style - more like the bloke in the pub that wants to start a fight rather than talk about the subject.

Out of interest do you believe that the costs of 'refurbishing' the Houses of Parliament represent good value for money?

good value for money?
Is that important? I'm sure there are a lot of fire stations that are dormant for days/weeks/months throughout the year. There are many other ostentatious buildings that raise eyebrows regards cost to build and upkeep.

Do we need them - of course we do.

I don't disagree with the principle.

But should we spend up to £5.6bn (and let's be realistic, when did a public sector project ever come in on budget?!) on the restoration of the HoP or are there better ways to spend the money?

You have an interesting posting style - more like the bloke in the pub that wants to start a fight rather than talk about the subject
Bless :ROFLMAO:

I find this dishonest argument about the houses of parliament cost rather predictable and tedius.
It is a narrative not about the money but all about the public versus entitled elite.

The houses of parliament is an iconic historic building in the heart of London. So as I see it there is no choice they have to be restored.
It would therefore be more useful to separate the refurbishment cost of the building fabric and the cost of updating the interior for parliamentary use.

Im not against the possibility of moving parliament, Im agaanst this faux moral outrage about the cost.

Plus, the current estimates of the HoP restoration budget should also be seen through the lens of decades of next-to-zero spend on the building's upkeep.
It didn't start falling apart last year, last month, or last week.

Sponsored Links
Back