blade boss / friction disc removal Hayter Harrier lawn mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got an old Hayter Harrier 2 with a 3.5HP Briggs on it. I'm want to take the engine off but don't know how to remove the blade boss / friction disc. Any suggestions how to do this? Any help would be much appreciated! Jeroen

Sponsored Links
Hi Jeroen

With difficulty is probably the best answer. I have tried without sucess to remove to remove them in the past, the problem is they rust onto the crankshaft

I would suggest you give it a good dose of penetrating oil and get a good strong puller, if you can get it screwed up tight and then hit it with a soft hammer - it might move.

Peter

thanks Peter,
I wanted to change piston rings, some gaskets etc. Will look for a puller, perhaps I should leave it as I don't want to damage the shaft. It's a old 30+ year old engine - i'll keep topping up the oil!
Jeroen

Sponsored Links
Below the crankshaft bolt there is a domed washer - or at least it is domed when its not under pressure from the bolt. This is actually a sort of security device that keeps the crank bolt locked.
If you want to get the carrier boss off, lock the blade with a piece of timber, undo the bolt (conventional thread) and then follow Peter's tips.
Heat helps too but its the rust thats the big issue.
John :)

Thanks John & Peter,
I'm new here and am very impressed with the fast replies.
I'll have a go and will try to stop before too much damage is done.
Jeroen

Back